Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Approximately how long should it take a newly installed package to fill out the foundation in an eight frame medium super? I am feeding syrup. Daytime temps are in the 60's, nights are in the low 40's. Bees are very active. Thanks for your patience with the basic questions.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Assuming a three pound package... I would estimate a range of 2-3 weeks in moderate weather with keeping the feeding constant. It can go faster if there is any sort of flow on.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks very much for the info. I really appreciate the advice and help in our new adventure.

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
When you add the second box, pull one frame of brood up into the second box and center it above the brood nest in the lower box, with frames of foundation on each side. This will encourage the bees to move up into the second box.

After a few frames have been drawn out in the second box you can start to rotate undrawn frames from the outside into the broodnest. One at a time move an undrawn frame between two frames of capped brood. Not too many at once, go slowly as the population increases.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the great info. So far I really enjoy the bees, but have to admit I'm nervous about something I know so little about. We have a vineyard and poultry houses that I am very comfortable with. But, we are reading and attending classes. All the help from Beesource is great.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts