Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

61 - 64 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
5,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #61 (Edited)
That is certainly a rough start- to be dealing with AFB right out of the gate.

Kind of sobering too- I have bought used equipment a few times already and have had good success so far- but I won't lie that it is always in the back of my mind that I might regret it later...
Yah.
I helped with one inspection session on the said project (we needed to find and evaluate the queens).
Subsequently, I put the hive tool I used into a separate bag and mean to scorch it (IF I find it again in my mess!).

So, I have been lucky I never had the issues with the used equipment so far.
BUT.... (and I explained this to Scott also - that was his mistake - getting very old used equipment). They got some really, really old equipment from some source.

You don't want used equipment that came from the era of AFB (meaning old equipment originating from about 40-50 years ago or older).
You want used equipment from the era of Varroa (very likely safe equipment of recent origin; available due to the issues with Varroa).

See what I mean?

Avoid the old used equipment.
Get the recent used equipment (ideal - if the Varroa-related failures are obvious or documented).
This being said, maybe I am done with used equipment. No longer need any.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
You don't want used equipment that came from the era of AFB (meaning old equipment originating from about 40-50 years ago or older). You want used equipment from the era of Varroa (very likely safe equipment of recent origin; available due to the issues with Varroa).
Makes sense to me, GregV. If nothing else, newer equipment has at least had less opportunity to become a spore host. Regardless, I completely understand why some folks swear off used bee gear... it's a little like gambling.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
I have done a lot of used stuff, mostly failed hobbyists who failed to manage their mites, cleaned out one abandoned commercial yard. every thing gets it own iso yard for a year... The 2 EFB out brakes I have had in 2 different yards both started in KTBHs that I made and had never been moved.... so it can come form any ware....

If your just starting with a few packages, no big thing... little risk... but as you gather bees and equipment the $$ risk of putting used gear in an active yard does grow as it could take out a whole yards worth of bees.... and woodwear .. a point Old timer made to me once... and I took notice

Dealt with another EFB out break in a clubs yard as well

My rules, and what I suggest to the local clubs... No outside hive tools or other gear besides suits, disposable nitrile gloves. All my sites have there own hive tools on top of a hive cover held down by a brick..between that inner and outer cover is the pair of nitrile I have been using in that yard, replaced as they take holes.
Something looks suspicious and its a fresh pair of gloves and the hive tool gets hit with propane torch before moving on to the next hive.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
My rules, and what I suggest to the local clubs... No outside hive tools or other gear besides suits, disposable nitrile gloves. All my sites have there own hive tools on top of a hive cover held down by a brick..between that inner and outer cover is the pair of nitrile I have been using in that yard, replaced as they take holes.
Something looks suspicious and its a fresh pair of gloves and the hive tool gets hit with propane torch before moving on to the next hive.
MSL:

That's great advice- makes good sense to me.

61 - 64 of 64 Posts