Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hived my first package today. A big thanks to psfred I ordered packages from Kelley's on the same day Peter was going. He saved me 4 hrs of driving and I got to see his hive and Woodward projects. The install went smooth, but getting the can out is tough. I dropped it several times, irritating the girls no end. They are in my 8 frame deep with a lot of honey, pollen and drawn comb. These girls were so busy, they built a 4" piece of comb in there package. I am hoping to put another deep on by the end of April. Reading all the package queen debates, I want to. Requeen with one of mine. My plan is to pull 2-3 frames of brood in May, put them in a nuc, to make a queen. If I can steal a queen cell or two, make another new queen. Since they make lots of swarm cells and only a few supersede cells, is my plan flawed? What a great day.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry my post is lacking some information. I have two overwintered hives that are making brood and that is where I would get frames for a split.

·
Registered
287 Posts
When your hive builds up to the point you believe it can be split, pull the current queen out with a couple frames of brood and food and move the split to a new location. The remaining hive will produce a much better queen than a small split.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts