Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yep. This is the second time this year. The first one happened early enough to deal with (and it worked, thank goodness).
It's too late to rear a new queen so...what can I salvage? There is a bunch of pollen and honey stores (some of the pollen cells have eggs on them!)
Should I just shake the bees and give the boxes to another hive? I'm not thrilled about giving large boxes as supers but I hate to let all the stores go to waste. If I do place the boxes on another hive should I just put it on top or should I put it above the brood nest?
GRRRRRRRRR! :cry:

·
Premium Member
2,521 Posts
Re: ANother #@*% laying worker! What can I salvage?

I've had it twice myself this year. It all started from a swarm I caught with 3 queens (apparently virgins). None of them made apparently made it so I added another frame of brood (gave them a fresh frame of brood when I hived them) and let them raise their own queen. It turned out she didn't breed well or was a laying worker. I never found her. So I tried a shake out about 100 yards away, and froze (all drones) then dispersed the frames to other hives.

She apparently moved into a fresh 10 frame nuc I had as I had a young strong laying queen in there. The next week I had a drone layer, it was the hive the bulk of the shook out population went to. I couldn't find her as much as I tried so I split the frames into 2 5-frame nucs and watched for queen cells. Once they appeared I moved some into the drone laying hive. I checked on them yesterday (3-weeks after I transfered the capped queen cells) and found properly laying queens in both hives.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Hi Meadfarm,
I don't think its too late in the season for them to raise a queen, as long as the bees are willing to do it for you.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They've already raised a queen. The cells are gone and so, apparently is the queen. I think I'm going to go the way of shaking freezing and redistributing the frames to hives in need. I'll get the hive back in the spring with a split. Such is life.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts