Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The last time I cut Honey Super Cell I simply cut the deeps down to mediums and then fit the cut-offs into medium frames.

I've seen that I would prefer to have a real top-bar on my HSC frames and I'm now planing to simply cut the HSC in half. This will leave about 3/4" between the the bottom bar and the HSC.

I don't see any disadvantage to this and feel that the gap will simply be filled with drone comb.

For those of you who have done this, what were your experiences?

·
Registered
242 Posts
I really don't know what your talking about:eek: But it sounds complex and interesting. What's a honey super cell?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Ok I get it. Is this for the bottom hive body or for a second. I would fear a mess each time I broke into the bottom and top. But probably wouldn't be a big deal unless you smash the queen or something crazy that always seems to happen to no one but me:doh:

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The HSC is used by people who are trying "Small Cell" beekeeping.

It is used in the brood boxes.

If you do a search for "small cell" you will see some of the discussions...

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The last time I cut Honey Super Cell I simply cut the deeps down to mediums and then fit the cut-offs into medium frames.

I've seen that I would prefer to have a real top-bar on my HSC frames and I'm now planing to simply cut the HSC in half. This will leave about 3/4" between the the bottom bar and the HSC.

I don't see any disadvantage to this and feel that the gap will simply be filled with drone comb.
OK... Well I dipped my full frames (warmed) through wax floating on water in a large pot and then cut down the HSC.

The wax coating wasn't as nice as the mini-frames I did last year, but it's about an 80% job.

Some of it went into a 5-frame nuc box today with a package of bees. I filled some of the comb with syrup from two syrup cans from other packages.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
I cut mine down to mediums. I keep meaning to use the other pieces but haven't gotten around to it. I was going to screw them with long deck screws and a 3/8" by 3/4" top bar. In other words from top to bottom, a 3/8" by 3/4" strip of wood, a 3" piece of HSC, another 3" piece of HSC and a screw on eacn end and one in the middle that is five inches long.

But I haven't got it done. I bought the screws...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts