Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am running 6 hives,2 ten frame deeps each, All of them are filled and looking good.
I have med.supers on 3 of them filled and capped with honey (1 super each),I was going to pull and extract but my wife thinks I
should leave them for the bees.

I live in the lower part of Michigan and have seen and been told to pull all supers and just leave the deeps to being told to leave at
least i med super full of honey for each one.
I'm trying to figure out which way I should go.

What would you do.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I believe for those of us in MI it is recommended that you leave 60-80 lbs of honey for the wintering cluster. I think 1 deep frame is about 9 lbs. So, if you have the equivalent of 10 frames of honey in the 2 supers, minus the brood, you should be fine. If you're really worried about winter stores you can save 1-2 deep frames of honey/ hive in the freezer then if your stores are low when you pack up just thaw them out and slip them in.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks ,that is what I think I will do.
My wife makes me second guess everything and the last thing I want to do is let "her" bees go hungry.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Besides, the real danger will be in early spring, that will be about the end of February/ beginning of March. The 1st sunny 55 degree day we get take a VERY quick peep at the stores in the top super (the bottom should be fairly empty). If there are hardly any stores left close it up and pull those frames from the freezer. BTW never put frozen frames of honey in the hive. Make sure they are completely thawed.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,171 Posts
I would decide based on the size of the cluster, not just an arbitrary number of boxes. A really booming Italian size cluster might benefit from one super in addition to two deeps. They won't need it for winter but will burn it up rearing brood in the spring. On anything less than that large Italian cluster, I think it would be overkill.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have 2 Italians, 2 Russian and 2 mutts. So I will keep at least a couple of supers for them then. Just in case.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
406 Posts
pull those frames from the freezer.
What's the purpose of freezing those frames? Wouldn't sealing them in a plastic tub and storing them in a basement suffice? ::: shrug :::

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Honey is $8 a pound. Sugar is 4# for $1.77. I don't mind feeding the bees through the winter after stealing almost all of their honey. I do leave all of the honey in the two deep brood chambers and leave any uncapped honey in the supers. I also feed through the winter.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Honey is $8 a pound. Sugar is 4# for $1.77. I don't mind feeding the bees through the winter after stealing almost all of their honey. I do leave all of the honey in the two deep brood chambers and leave any uncapped honey in the supers. I also feed through the winter.
My wife is different,She tries to not eat sugar and doesn't want to feed the bees sugar either unless it's absolutely necessary.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,171 Posts
>I was woundering the same thing as I am in Paw Paw Mi. also is it a good idea to put in a protein patty as well?

If you don't see pollen coming in, feeding pollen (I would not feed substitute) might be useful to get one last batch of brood raised, but my guess is you still have plenty of real pollen coming in.

·
Registered
7 Posts
WE still haven't had the goldenrod flow here in Michigan. I think you could pull some and then get the drawn comb right back on the hives for them to start refilling-
Where in lower MI are you? you'll need more winter stores in Gaylord than you will in St Joseph

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
WE still haven't had the goldenrod flow here in Michigan. I think you could pull some and then get the drawn comb right back on the hives for them to start refilling-
Where in lower MI are you? you'll need more winter stores in Gaylord than you will in St Joseph
I am in the Grand Rapids area and have not seen goldenrod start yet.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts