Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Clover; White Dutch. My bees love the stuff!! However I am reading some conflicting info. about the plant. 1. it blooms ever other year? This may explain why I have blooms on one section of my properity one year and not the next, then on another acre (a later purchase that was farm land and reseaded) the next. 2. When to plant on my later purchase of land to have a yearly crop? 3. What type/kind of herbicide that will kill other broadleaf plants, but not the clover?

This is one of those "I just don't know things" and have not got a stright answer from the Ag. extension office or the web.

On another post about Red Clover, from what I have observed, if other blooms are available they land and leave, but, if little else is available they work the devel out of it. :scratch:

·
Registered
238 Posts
I'm not sure about the other questions but as to the herbicide one, If it kills broad leaf plants it kills clover too. My "real" job is landscape maintenance and when I treat yards with any of the common products, clovers are some of the first plants to curl up and start smoking. In fact it seems most beeforage is easily killed by lawn "care" products and just the useless plants (to bees) like nutsedge, mimosa weed, violets (is that a bee plant? I don't recall seeing them work it.) etc. stay. Personally I would NOT spray anything. I don't treat my own yard and I try to steer my clients away from treating...but some folks just gotta have a "perfect" lawn...BTW I had some logging done at our farm recently and seeded some of the clear cut areas with Dutch White Clover yesterday...I'll let you know how it comes up.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts