Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this question has been answered 1000 times on here, but I've read alot of forums that were 6-9 years old, and just want to get up to date opinions. I expanded to 15 hives last year, and while I didn't take any honey last year, I plan to this year (Lord willing), and I'm in the market for an extractor. I don't really want to continue the ole crush and strain method with this number of hives. I would prefer a power driven extractor over a hand crank device, and I would prefer something in the 18-20 shallow/medium frame capacity range. That way if I feel the need to expand, I won't have to again be in the market for another extractor. I've looked at all the major suppliers, and I need your help, because I don't know much about any of their products. The one that caught my eye the most was the 18 frame extractor from Millers Bee Supply, appears to be very affordable compared with other brands, but again, I need some advice on what you more experienced beeks would recommend. Thanks.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I think you had better look at the Maxant extractors. You will not find better, made in the USA, and if you have a question, you can actually talk to the guy who built it!

Think you will regret going with a lesser brand.

·
Super Moderator
11,159 Posts
Maxant makes fine extractors. But money is always a factor.

One consideration, at least to me, is that Cody is within easy driving distance of both Miller Bee Supply (and Brushy Mtn). That means that he can pick up the extractor from either of those vendors and avoid a truck freight charge.

·
Super Moderator
11,159 Posts
> Or just get free shipping ...

Well, that may tip the scales somewhat! :) Now consider that ordering from Maxant (in MA) means that no NC sales tax is collected. Buying from either Miller or Brushy would mean paying NC sales tax.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rader you and I are on the same page with the driving distance compared to freight charges. Obviously money is a huge factor, as all beekeepers are poor.....right? :D But I do want a good product that is going to last, and as I said earlier, I want to purchase for the future.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
A Maxant 20 holds 10 deep or 20 mediums. A Dadant 20 holds 20 deeps or 36 mediums. Both are fine products. That said, look for a used extractor. My old Dadant 20 is at least 30 years old and still works fine. I bought it used. For most of us, extractors get used from a few days to a few weeks a year.

·
Registered
374 Posts
When I was in the market for an extractor last year, I learned that one of the key differences in the lower priced extractors was the gauge steel used in the sidewalls. A thicker gauge steel is much more durable and less likely to flex during extracting. I ended up going with a Maxant unit, they use 20 gauge #4 Polished SS.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts