Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did my first cut out back on the 8th of June. I was able to transfer most of the bees and a lot of brood and honey to a new hive I set up. I never saw the queen though. I was hoping that I just didn't see her. I left the hive alone for a week or so before going back in to check on them. Still couldn't find the queen but saw a couple queen cells. I figured that if I missed catching the queen, they must be making a new one. I went back in today to try once more and spot a queen. The two queen cells were empty, but still no sighting. I am hoping that it is just my inexperience. Another thing, it seems that all the brood has hatched but there are no signs of new brood. Only empty cells, nectar, and some pollen. How long will a hive go without a queen? How much time do I have to get one installed? If they did make a new queen, how long before she starts laying?

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
Check in another 5-6 days. You should see eggs in the cells. A virgin queen is really hard to spot since she is not much larger than her sisters. After a while you will be able to let the hive show you where the queen is.
You will see a much calmer frame of bees and a small "train" of bees folowing the queen. Sometimes you will even see a parting of bees in front of the queen while her majesty walks about.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Check in another 5-6 days. You should see eggs in the cells. A virgin queen is really hard to spot since she is not much larger than her sisters. After a while you will be able to let the hive show you where the queen is.
You will see a much calmer frame of bees and a small "train" of bees folowing the queen. Sometimes you will even see a parting of bees in front of the queen while her majesty walks about.
Thanks Mr.BeeMan. I did a little more reading after my post and realized that I may be a little premature in worrying that I had no queen. I will check in again next week.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks Mr.BeeMan. I did a little more reading after my post and realized that I may be a little premature in worrying that I had no queen. I will check in again next week.
If you have another hive get a frame of brood with eggs and larvae. If you didn't get the queen they'll be able to make a new queen with the eggs and larvae. Having open brood with also help by giving them something to do and reduce the chance they'll abscond.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I looked again yesterday, but did not see any activity that would indicate a queen in residence. I am trying to get one over here from Frostproof FL on Thurs or Fri. Thanks for the Bee Math link!
I did my second cutout Saturday. The first went into a top bar hive, I put the second in a Langstroth. I was able to vac all the bees from the wall and get them into the hive provided. I left the new close to their old location and they seem to be happy in the box. When the rains stop I will move the setup to its new location.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was able to get a queen over here from Bill Carpenter in Frostproof FL. A really nice guy. He actually sent me two! A friend of my was coming over on a private plane and was kind enough to stop off and pick them up for me. The morning of their arrival, I took one more look and there was a queen. The colony was making honey and lots of new comb. Their queen was busy laying eggs and there was capped and uncapped brood. I decided to leave her in place and set up the imported queens up in a small two bar nuc sized box with some drawn comb and bees. Got some more cutouts lining up. Hopefully I will be able to keep the new queens in reserve in case I miss the queen again

1 - 8 of 8 Posts