Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

We have recently had a warm-spell with temperatures up to 25C. The hives have been building up really good and some of my hives now has three deeps. Our best hive has over 20 frames containing brood (crazy queen).

I have never had a full size colony before so im not aquainted to the behaviour of a full size colony. But what i have noticed is the increase in defensive behaviour the last weeks. Hives that were inspected without gloves a month ago now sting 10-20 times in one inspection and I have to smoke them every two frames.

Can this increase in defensive behaviour be contributed to the hive strenght? Or is it the warm weather? I dont think the hives are bothered by ants/wasps/animals, although we had an ant problem a few weeks ago. All of my queens are mutts and is about a year old. A medium flow is now started and our hives has gathered more nectar than they use only for about two weeks, so there are maybe only about three frames of honey in each hive. Is this low enough stores to increase defensiveness even when a flow is on?

Toughts or answers are much appreciated :)

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Seems like the larger the hive, the more willing the bees are to defend the hive.
Nucs are (usually) very calm, they need every bee. Or so it seems to me.
I don't think you asked, but I would probably split this large give. ...
CE

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All the hives has eggs so im guessing none of them are queenless. This is a pitty, I thought i had gentle bees but apparently not, hive strength was just too low... :-/ I dont know what kind of animal that would bother my hives. There is a badger living a few yards.away but there are no marks on the hives.

Thanks for the advice about splitting the large hive, I think I will do that. Its not in swarm-mode yet but I need to get alot of frames drawn this year and this hive will probably swarm....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts