Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Temperatures briefly topped 70°F/21°C today and the forecast is showing highs in the 60-70s for the upcoming 10 days (save for one brief cold spot where it only gets up to 50), so I went ahead and did my first full inspection and opened up the brood nest. Saw lots of pollen, and lots of eggs/larva (no capped brood yet, but man is it easier to spot eggs and larva in properly darkened brood comb instead of the fresh white wax from last year), got the feeder on since they burned through their honey stores, so it looks like we are officially off and running for the new season here in southeast TN.

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
Second flying day in a row but it was still only 11 during the night. Next ten days will reach close to forty or above with rain forecast. One day it is supposed to hit 60 but the wind will be in the forties. That is spring here.

·
Registered
4 Posts
We're already swarming. My son found a quite hive and when he opened it he found the super full of capped honey. The brood box only had three frames for brood. The rest was capped honey. He also found multiple empty queen cells.

We inspected a hive for the beekeeping class and found queen cells in that hive as well.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
I am expecting a very good spring here in the middle ohio river valley. Louisville is usally on pace with Tennessee as far as winter warmup, we are in a valley, isolated by the knobs from cold northeast winds. The blacktop city effect and river also provides warming. Bees r ba da ba ba loving it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts