Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 5 hives doing well with healthy queens. I have an empty nuc box and an empty hive box waiting on a package of bees to come in 2 weeks. Recently my queen supplier had a couple of miscues when shipping the queens I ordered so very nicely they have sent me a free queen bee!!

But I don't know what to do with her:scratch:

Should I put her in th nuc with some bees off of another hive or put her in my hive box with some bees off another hive and then I order another box for the package coming??

The insights I get from the forum have been very helpful, thanks for your advice,

T from SC

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I would pull a frame of brood and clinging bees from each hive and put them and the queen in the nuc box. With 5 hives I would want at least 2 nuc boxes around, so I would get another of those.

Many, many options.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Yes, You could do that. Just take one frame of bees from one of your stronger hive put it in the nuc. Wait over night and then introduce the queen. Then you will have a banked queen ready to go if for some reason you need one. And one frame from your strong hive should not hurt hone production too much.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Buying another hive is just a question of your budget and the number of hives you want to have. I agree with the other posts that having a banked queen or two is always a good idea. You might be able to replace a failing queen of your own or bail out a beekeeping neighbor in trouble.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts