Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed something with a swarm I had two days ago. On my way home from work my kids informed me a hive had swarmed and was in the cedar tree. It was raining but i caught them and put them in a 5 fram nuc with foundation starter strips. Now the next day the left........why i hve no idea.......but i did notice something and I want your opinion on it.

I noticed that where they stared to build out the cells they had chewed down the inside bace of the cell making it thinner. they had built quite a bit over night as it is amazing how fast a swarm builds. Now could it be the reason we have a hard time getting them to build on plastic foundation is that they can not hin it the way they want it? I meen maybe they like a certain distance between cells on oppisite sides of the comb.........and with wax they can chew it and build while with plastic they can't.......It was amazing to see their chew marks in the base of those cells and how much the built in a short time.........while swarms caught and put on plastic foundation built much slower........maybe there is a corolation in the distance or should I say base of the cell thickness and what they really want and can achive with wax over plastic.

Just a thought

·
Registered
760 Posts
Or it may be that they are building faster simply because they have the wax available that they can use elsewhere. I have found the bees will build on plastic foundation faster if they are coated with more wax (more than just the very thin coat that is applied at the factory). They will chew the excess wax and use it to form the walls.

-Tim

1 - 3 of 3 Posts