Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to beekeeping this year. Bot a nuc and things were going fine. Also caught a swarm three weeks ago. So today I examined both my hives. The swarm hive looks good and there is lots of capped brood. Then I was anticipating adding a honey super to my nuc hive, as that is the stage most keepers are at here in central oregon, but found that there is no brood. The brood box has a lot of empty brood cells, but no brood at all and the super on top of it has 5 to 6 frames full of honey.

I have apparently lost my queen in the nuc hive. So the experiment is this. I took a frame of brood from the swarm hive and placed it in the queenless nuc hive, hoping the remaining bees will develope a queen. I'm just wondering what people think of this, if they have tried it and what success they think I might have. Comments appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Some of the things i have learned thus far...
1. If you have bees, and you see no queen or eggs, or brood, chances are the hive swarmed and you either have a virgin or a newly mated queen in there some where.
2. If there was no queen of some sort, they would back fill the nest with honey and pollen, especially if there is a flow on. If the center frames are empty, a good possiblity there is a queen in there and they are getting it ready for her to go to work

3. It is a good idea to add a frame of eggs...make sure they have not hatched. In four days, if there is a few cells on there, you have no queen. If they have not made any cells, check back in a week or so.

4. add some pollen patties to the hive. Now this hive is pretty much out of the honey production for this year. Your goal should be to get it ready for winter. That means ensuring you have a queen and getting the brood production up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. I appreciate the feedback. Will have to wait now and see what happens. All that honey in the second deep super is sure tempting to take.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts