Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up two deep nucs and was a little surprised to see only one side of one frame with any brood on it. Is there a certain amount of brood one should expect?

I just figured it was a little light but wanted to check before I start *****ing!

Thanks,

·
Registered
431 Posts
You might check their advertising, web site or Facebook page to see whether they state what buyers can expect. I tell customers to expect three full frames of brood (both sides)...and that is what I deliver.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I think that is a puny nuc. IMO a nuc should have a minimum three frames with brood in varying stages and a solid frame of honey/pollen for food. I've read enough of these stories that beekeepers need to start asking up front what they are getting before they agree to a sale.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Not sure where you are but it NC this is what the state says you should be able to expect when buying a nuc

https://www.ncbeekeepers.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/NUCLEUS-BEEHIVESrecmd2017.pdf
Well, to be fair it says at the end "Variations from these contents would typically be reflected in price adjustments"... Without knowing how much OP paid, it is hard to judge. Although it does sound light...
I'm just wandering if requirements state that there must be 2 full frames of food and 2 full frames of brood, then that leaves very little (1 frame ?) for queen to work on, which she probably can do in a day or two. Then what? It seems the timing of nuc sale must be just right or there would be requirements to shuffle frames in and out of nucs all the time waiting for the buyer...

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,297 Posts
The nucs I sell are like the others here, three frames containing mostly brood, two of them mostly capped. Some honey and pollen on the brood frames and a bunch on the other two. One frame may not yet be completely drawn but is not blank. Put another way, there should be close to 10K bees in the nuc and another 10,000 bees getting ready to emerge in the next two weeks with ample food to feed the ones not yet capped. The going price for a nuc like this in my area is around $175-$185 US.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts