Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm contemplating treating two nucs with Api Life Var. One has about 4 frames of bees and the other has two. Both were swarms that have had a rough time with robbers, shb's and/or are starting late in the season. I know it's a stretch but I would like to help them as much as possible. I have both in 5 frame nucs.

How much of the wafer would you suggest using? They are trying to brood up for the winter but there's only so many bees to tend the brood. We still likely have a couple weeks of goldenrod flow and temps are lows in the 50's and high's in the mid 70's for the next week or so. Thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
One has about 4 frames of bees and the other has two. ...I know it's a stretch
End it. Is the best advice. Small colonies in Spring can't heat the brood properly. Gets diseases of all sorts and you get the trouble. Not worth the effort. Are those your only bees?

The smell of ApiLifeVar will bait more robbers and disturbs the defence of the colony against robbers. Especially in smaller colonies.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I think you will be much happier with the result if you off the queen in the smaller nuc and combine it with the bigger nuc. Then next spring you can resplit the hive. If you try to over winter two small nucs you run the risk of loosing both. You have so many options in the spring with a good strong nuc versus two weak ones you have to baby along. Two frames of bees would even be hard to over winter here in the deep south.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts