Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i went thru my deadouts today. 2 of the hives had a couple frames with dead sealed brood. when i scraped the cap off and dug out the dead larva on a couple, it was black and mushy almost liquid,but not stringy. caps didn't appear sunken. didn't have my camera, may go back in a day or 2 and take a few pics. kinda worried now, would hate to have to burn all my equipment and my hive that is robbing them out. any opinions? i know i can send samples to be checked, just checking to see if anyone has an explanation.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
i went thru my deadouts today. 2 of the hives had a couple frames with dead sealed brood. when i scraped the cap off and dug out the dead larva on a couple, it was black and mushy almost liquid,but not stringy. caps didn't appear sunken. didn't have my camera, may go back in a day or 2 and take a few pics. kinda worried now, would hate to have to burn all my equipment and my hive that is robbing them out. any opinions? i know i can send samples to be checked, just checking to see if anyone has an explanation.
Hi Crabby! I got your message but could not read it. I think I have popups blocked that cause that, and I am semi-illiterate with computers. :kn:

I do not think you have AFB. I wonder if the frames got wet during the winter.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i'm gonna go thru them again and do the toothpick test and look closer for scale. there was no odor at all. i dont think they got wet

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
If the moosh is not sticky, it is almost certainly not foulbrood. Reserve those frames with dead brood for the second box when the colony is stronger.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
what you are describing is a common occurrence in hives that died out in late winter. the brood was simply in an early state of pupation when it froze, the dark almost liquid brood is decomp. a strong hive will clean them up lickity split.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Crabby! I got your message but could not read it. I think I have popups blocked that cause that, and I am semi-illiterate with computers. :kn:

I do not think you have AFB. I wonder if the frames got wet during the winter.
Philip, you should be able to turn off the popup blocker, usually a window will be up top to temporarily allow popups

1 - 7 of 7 Posts