Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,976 Posts
it follows that migratory operations, like to almonds for example, (and assuming that with such operations hives from different operations are placed in near vicinity of each other in holding yards, adjacent orchards ect), would necessarily be at higher risk for acquiring communicable diseases such as the foulbroods, owing to nothing more than shear exposure.

undoubtedly this a risk our commercially operating friends take very seriously, and my hat is off to them for being able to manage this risk in such a way that keeps them profitable year after year.

that the foulbroods can lay 'dormant', i.e. be present in numbers ensuring eventual morbidity and/or mortality prior to showing themselves at inspection, along with the mobilization of said hives that is part of migratory beekeeping, at least sets the stage for potential outbreaks.

given the stigma associated however, along with privacy concerns and financial considerations, about all we ever can accomplish here is conjecture.

·
Registered
Burlington, MA. Langs
886 Posts
You are jumping to a conclusion that conforms to your prejudice. There is no evidence that "evil commercials from the south" generated this epidemic.

I have no evidence, but I posit that it is just as likely that the "Treatment Free Death Cult" spread the epidemic through their fringe belief (such as Solomon expressed) that AFB should be spread widely among TF colonies to "challenge" the bees.

I did email all the commercial apiaries in the vicinity of Northampton (such as Google uncovered), and those that responded told me "not in my apiaries, get in touch with MDAR"
It was only after my initial inquires, I got a fuller list of the 10 towns where active cases have been reported.
Where do I say that commercial beeks are evil ? Please don't put words in my mouth.

What are your feelings on Dann Purvis II or Cory Stevens?

·
Registered
4,383 Posts

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Alabama has a "No Comb" law, meaning that neither comb nor used equipment may be brought into the State. Nucs from neighboring states cannot be brought into Alabama for sale. Queens and packages may. Migratory beekeepers can apply for permits to travel through the state.

This law is frequently debated and discussed at beekeeper meetings and in beekeeping circles in our state. It has recently been brought back up by a few commercial beekeepers that would like to see the law abolished.

Do other states have No Comb laws? Alabama has very few, if any, reported AFB cases annually. I don't know if the law has anything to do with low incidents of AFB or not.

·
Super Moderator
10,976 Posts
Alabama has a "No Comb" law, meaning that neither comb nor used equipment may be brought into the State...
it was explained to me by a neighboring beekeeper (now retired) who was producing package bees at the time the law was passed, that the reason for the law was rampant afb showing up, traced back to bees and equipment coming in from out of state.

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
Just how many spores a larva has to ingest to be able to kill it depends what study you read. But the basic idea is that if a hive has a very low spore level and there are never enough of them in one place to give a larva a fatal dose, the hive will not develop symptoms. And also through constant cleaning etc, will gradually purge itself of the few spores it does have.
Nice feedback, @Oldtimer.

Your feedback made me curious, so I did a little digging around and found this contemporary study which attempts to answer this question - interesting stuff:

·
Registered
13,462 Posts
I have never, ever heard the idea that you should deliberately infect your hives with AFB. Please give your source for this slander. Not a vague "Solomon said" but an actual factual evidence based source.
I can't be bothered going back and finding references because it would probably take days to find. But I can assure you that Solomon expressed these sentiments multiple times on this and other forums. Despite having zero knowledge or experience with AFB he was dead certain in his beliefs, they were expressed without doubt.

As he had thousands of followers at the time who accepted everything he said as gospel, I challenged him on this and other forums about it because him encouraging people to disregard and even intentionally spread AFB was a great danger if it took hold in the TF community and from there spread to everyone else. Not only in the US he also had followers internationally and even in my country.

In typical Solomon fashion, what I said was dismissed with extreme hostility, and name calling, waste of my time attempting to debate. A sickening thing to be involved in.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Thank you JWChesnut, a fairly full & detailed reply. Interesting. I don't know Solomon Parker. I am rather shocked that a normal would consider moving AFB comb around (though I have heard of 2 bee inspectors who tried ut - but knew exactly what they were doing - interestingly found it couldn't be transmitted to some hives, which may correlate to the claim that hygienic bees are immune; I will need to delve deeper into that).

While we are on the subject of AFB, not everyone is aware that OTC (oxytetracycline) is not a cure, it's not even an antibiotic. It simply suppresses reproduction of AFB for a while, the symptoms disappear but it's still there. So Europe / Britain don't use it: we have a zero tolerance attitude to AFB, burn the bees & burn the hives (or use sodium hypochlorite).

·
Registered
13,462 Posts
Re the hobbyist did it no the commercial beekeeper did it debate, they can be as bad as each other. What I found at least in my country is the majority of commercial beekeepers are extremely vigilant about AFB, but there is an occasional one who is not, and they can do a great deal of damage.
Hobbyists, they tend to have less knowledge and can get AFB and even have hives die of it, get robbed, and still be totally unaware. But for the reasons already expressed (they are less migratory etc...), a bad hobbyist will do less damage than a bad commercial.
So on balance they can both be good or bad, finger pointing on this issue is just tribalism and counter productive.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Clyde, though Wild and I have our differences, I read it as him lamenting the inspectors would not divulge the info and him also admitting that he would not either. Slight difference to what you were implying. I have my doubts whether many people would answer an email from a stranger and tell them of their afb /efb woes. There are some reports on this forum of efb. Do you think there may be more that go unreported? What would you do? Do you have bees in Mass? Have you had afb? I do not have bees in Mass and I have never seen AFB. I am grateful to our inspectors for their help in keeping AFB to a minimum. I have heard stories of when that was not the case....

·
Registered
40 Plus, Medium Langs 8s and 5s
228 Posts
You are jumping to a conclusion that conforms to your prejudice. There is no evidence that "evil commercials from the south" generated this epidemic.

I have no evidence, but I posit that it is just as likely that the "Treatment Free Death Cult" spread the epidemic through their fringe belief (such as Solomon expressed) that AFB should be spread widely among TF colonies to "challenge" the bees.

I did email all the commercial apiaries in the vicinity of Northampton (such as Google uncovered), and those that responded told me "not in my apiaries, get in touch with MDAR"
It was only after my initial inquires, I got a fuller list of the 10 towns where active cases have been reported.
There's that Ghost again...

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I live just down rt 91 from this area in CT and did a quick check of Mass bee laws. Sec 32-38

Unlike my state,Mass doesn't seem to have the requirement for in state hive sale inspections.With the concentration of hobbyists in the CT River Valley,I can easily see how unregulated nuc sales could spread AFB.
Hives,nucs and packages from out of state are required to have inspections but there are no border police so,again,a bad batch of nucs could slip through.

I have dealt with Dr Kim Skyrm and other Mass state inspectors and admire their professionalism.I'm sure they are in the midst of an investigation and,when completed,a report should be issued.Due to privacy laws,I doubt names will be named.
Any speculation right now is just a Wild Assed Guess!

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
The fact that this AFB outbreak is along one road imply it is a local commercial beekeeper.
the 35mile distance between infection points makes one think it wasn't a truck load of packages dropping at every town along the way (that's how it happens here, 5-8 different suppliers making the run Pueblo to Ft colons )
but it also follows the population centers of this main HWY so the flip side is those who are "commercial" by US standards know enough to deal with the issue.. and heck... I am a little guy and have hives 35miles point to point along I25
my guess is a small operation that sells bees

·
Registered
2 Posts
irradiation of afb infected equipment is utilized in that part of the country vs. mandatory burn as is practiced in other locations. one wonders about containment of equipment and infected bees while waiting for irradiation day...
Perhaps, but burning IS mandatory in Massachusetts. Legally allAFB infected colonies must be burned pursuant to M.G.L. c. 128, Sections 33-34, 330 CMR 8.02-8.03.

·
Registered
Burlington, MA. Langs
886 Posts
thanks for that amy. does any close to the incident know if the mandatory burning is taking place?
When I spoke to the head guy he didn't mention it... But I also didn't ask.
And of course NO One wants to Talk about it 🙄
What's sad is that in Lexington there is a well known local Beek that's also , I think, head of a Bee club..... Nothing from her about it that I can see/read FB or other sites they are on.
If I had it in my hives I would let everyone know. How else are we to help contain and stop the spread! And yes, even if I had 100 colonies

21 - 40 of 49 Posts