Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy was looking for some "Beetle Blaster" SHB traps and didn't want to pay the shipping from a regular supply house. Jokingly, I said, try Amazon, they sell everything. He called and said you were right? Really? I looked and the price was comparable however with free shipping. Hmmm, guess if I'm looking for something and don't have a big enough order to get free shipping will look there. Just an FYI.

https://www.amazon.com/Beetle-Blast...r=8-1&keywords=beetle+blaster+for+hive+beetle

·
Registered
403 Posts
Yes, you can get "almost anything" via Amazon.com. You do need to know your pricing, however. While some sellers (including Amazon direct) are competitive, others are not. You have to weigh the convenience vs the cost, but when you need "just one thing" and can get it via Amazon with free shipping (Prime or because of spend), it can be a valuable way to bypass the higher minimums for free shipping from the "regular" purchasing practices of the bee houses.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Just keep in mind that your local/regional supplier may not be in business if you aren't willing to pay for their service. Like everyone, I use Amazon but only when the cost difference is so big, I can't justify not using it. I miss my local general store but they went out of business because people wouldn't spend an extra 25 cents for a quart of milk. Now everyone has to drive 30 miles to get that quart of milk. J

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Amazon doesn't have the best selection of bee supplies. Yes some things are a great buy, but other items are just not available or more expensive than a real bee supplier.

Keep in mind many online retailers bake in free shipping into the item price.

I live 70 miles from Kelley's headquarters so just makes sense for me to drive to the brick and mortar location and stock up 1-2 times a year. I'm probably a unique buyer, spoiled I guess. They also give me 5% off. I've spent around $8k over the years.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Yes, you can get nearly anything on Amazon. Watch the prices, though. Sometimes it's more expensive to get "free" shipping than it is to get it from your favorite beek supply house. Also, Ebay is sometimes less expensive, too. Use your 'rithmetic!

Another caveat, watch for the cheap Asian knock-off imports. Their idea of quality and mine are often miles apart. I'd rather pay a bit more for better stuff.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I bought my hive tool and a smoker on Amazon. It was WAY cheaper than anywhere else, free shipping, can't complain.

But as others said, know your prices. Amazon is not ALWAYS the cheapest.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The moral is to shop around and have an idea of what a fair price should be. Obviously, know what you're looking for in terms of quality. The reason I posted was that I was surprised the beetle traps were about the same price as the big suppliers with free shipping. Used to be able to go to a reputable store and buy something and feel confident you were getting quality. No more, caveat emptor (let the buyer beware) applies now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts