Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
God's creation is amazing. I was turning soil when I heard buzzing (not unusual since the bees are pretty close), but it got louder and louder. Looked up and the air is just packed with bees. My hive is covered in bees. They just keep going. The sound is amazing.

The queen is clipped and I laid cardboard in front to try to help keep her visible. I guess I missed a queen cell.
They appear to be heading for the exact same tree they swarmed into last year (that would be 3 swarms landing on the same tree - same area of the tree).

They are already returning to the hive. You never realize how many bees are in there till half are in the air at once.

Mike

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I think I have done it right.

I put my only extra chamber on the old site.
Went through the two deeps of the original hive and finally found the queen in the top chamber (she seemed to not have been planning to even leave the hive today). Took her frame and put it in the new body on the original site along with 2 frames of stores. Put empty frames in and closed everything up. Placed the old hive (with the queen cells) in a new spot.

Now my worry is that being so late the field bees will not fly back to the original hive tonight - and the brood on the queen's frame and the queen are in danger of chilling. Tonight is calling for 38-42.

Mike

1 - 2 of 2 Posts