Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it just me or is anyone else amazed at how much pollen they drop once inside the hive. Everytime I do a sticky board check I think the same thing. All that pollen that falls through my SBB.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Is your SBB causing the pollen to get knocked off? I don't notice much on solid bottoms or maybe what falls off the others bees pick up.

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
They do drop a lot and I've noticed that it sometimes depends on the type of pollen, or maybe the time of year. Not sure. I've seen other times when the bees are bringing in lots and lots of pollen and there's very little on the bottom board.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just wonder if it's a solid bottom board if they pick it back up and use it. I'm guessing they do. However it's a screened BB it's gone for good.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
I'm wondering what you are all talking about. It sounds like you are talking about the pollen that we beekeepers dump out of the combs when we manipulate them. I haven't seen any pollen dropped by the bees, only that which I dump out of the combs when I manipulate them.

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
No..I do get pollen drops. Not all the time, but certain times of the year you would think I have a pollen trap on. For a week or so, there's a lot of pollen on the bottom board or even the screened bottom board. Then, it's over.

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
Now that you mention it Dave, I do remember seeing more while the guards are on. Still on now but no pollen yet!

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
the type of mouse guard I used that year is exactly the same mechanism a pollen trap uses to strip pollen off their legs
I've stopped using mouse guards at all, I think our winters are mild enough the bees can take care of their selves
of course folks farther North have different issues

Dave

1 - 10 of 10 Posts