Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was given 3 langstroth hives and equipment. However I read in one article that the weight of the hive was about 60 lbs... I have a really messed up lower back and am unable to lift more than about 10 lbs...does that mean I am not capable of beekeeping?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm just a newbee waiting for my first package but a helper might work for you, or you may be able to fashion a hive lifter to help you out with the lifting.

·
Registered
6,691 Posts
You can use an empty hive box to set frames in as you pull them out for inspection. You can then put them all back one frame at a time. This will keep you under the ten pound weight limit.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Ray is right on the money. You probably wont be able to safely lift an entire hive body with frames, but they are all pieces. Just move them one peice at a time. if you can lift a gallon of milk, i can't think of anything beekeeping related that you wouldn't be able to do.

·
Registered
654 Posts
That is my preferred method sometimes. Once you find the queen be cautious that she isn't walking around the inside wall of the box you are using to put the frames in and out of. It seems to happen and then the queen can be kind of stubborn to find and get back into the original box. If you take the queen out of a big hive and are moving frames in and out sometimes the bees will react to that missing queen so maybe keep her in the original box and try to keep aware of where she is at and then move the frames in and out of the box after that is coordinated. Good Luck. It is still cold here. I am looking forward to spring:)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Yep, one frame at a time is the way to go. Sometimes even moving a lot of deep frames full of honey one at a time can get to my back a little if I hold them away from my body too much. Slow and steady wins the race. It's tempting to try and grab a box occasionally, but just don't. If you hurt yourself, it makes you dislike beekeeping.

I've switched to all mediums just to keep everything to a minimum. Nothing's worth hurting yourself over, but if you're careful, it's extremely fun and educating to keep bees.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts