Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I'm a year 2 novice with a crummy track record so far; started 3 new hives with nucs 3 weeks ago. Looking at the 'core' nuc frames inside my hive bases, I just don't see any new larvae in any of the cells. I see plenty of honey on these frames, and these cells here which I assume are capped brood but not sure; might also be pollen? I mean, that protruding cell must be a drone?

As usual I'm paranoid about the status of my queens. Bees in all three hives are working like crazy and building out frames at an amazing rate. But in all three hives I just don't see any of those tiny new rice-grain like new brood...

(didn't glimpse any queens either but that's nothing new for me)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sorry you have to open as a .pdf <<<aw, wait a second, now the pdf doesn't appear either...>>>
this forum uses photo formats I have never seen before.

In the interest of further disclosure, since I've been doing some more reading and searching on my question:
I just read that you need to feed nucs to encourage new laying; I had to leave on travel the morning after installing the nucs and had no time to set up feeders. Instead i stuck on several frames full of honey from last season. I just set up sugar water feeders yesterday. Could it be that the queens didn't feel good about the food supplies and so slowed laying?

·
Registered
507 Posts
New eggs can be difficult to see at first. They are slightly larger than the comma , on this post. The egg should be positioned in the very center of the bottom of the cell, directly in the middle.

Turn your frames into the sunlight and see if you can see them. I have found that reading glasses, help me alot.

How do your worker bees act? Are they anxious, aggressive, defensive or do they just go about their business? If they are just easing around the frames and don't rise up in your veil to buzz you, more than likely you have a queen, you just haven't seen her yet. Keep looking for the eggs.

Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts