Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
This is my first summer beekeeping. I've been watching my bees since May. This is the first I've noticed this: The small bees at the entrance were attacking (?) any larger bee (what I at first assumed were my drones) as they tried to come in or out of the box. At first I thought they were helping get pollen from the bees that were out foraging and returning, but as I looked more closely, they seemed to be in an angry struggle, buzzing and stinging until the large bee dropped to the ground or shook off the attacker and got away.

Any thoughts on what is happening, and if I should do anything about it?

Just a little more information about my hive- I had a swarm a month and a half ago while I was out of town (never found them), just after I put a super on top of two full hive boxes. Thankfully a queen survived and my population is back up now, but the bees are still not populating the super yet, even without a queen excluder.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
99 Posts
reduce entrance waaaay down to 2/3 bee wide, you are getting/trying robbed, they are trying to get in but the girls are fighting them off...google robber screen for more info

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Sounds like the ladies are now starting to kick out the drones! Everything sounds normal to me. What you could do if you wanted, is maybe reduce the entrance to help the ladies out. They would have less area to guard! Around this time the ladies kick out the drones!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you. Do you know why they would be kicking out the drones this time of year? I don't think I have read anything about this yet.

Thank you for your response.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts