Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going into second year, started with a package last April and a cutout done in May. Then got an open air hive in November. Put Mega bee patties on 2 weeks ago. Yesterday finally had a day to look in the hives. Hive that started as a package only had brood area about 3 inches accross on one frame, maybe 20 cells of open brood around that. Still have plenty of honey and all 3 are bringing in pollen. Package hive still has original queen. The other 2 hives are a little better but not much. All are in one deep and one medium. We just finished the coldest Febuary on record and it has been very wet. Should i just wait and see. I guess i was just expecting more.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Are you adding any 1:1? You may need to stimulate them some.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Also remember that they will only produce enough brood for them to tend so as the hive gets stronger the queen will lay more. Since all three hives are roughly the same I would say that the brood pattern is normal for this time of year. Also like Hambonehead said, get some 1:1 on them...save the patties for fall.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no i haven't yet. I thought it was too cold. I did put some on the open air hive and i don't think they have touched it.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
I made some migratory tops and cut a hole on top to fit a quart mason jar. On the few days in the last couple of weeks where it was warm they sucked it right down. I have had to switch to gallon feeders on a couple of them because they are building fast and drinking it faster than I can refill it. The 15day outlook has much warmer temps. I would start the 1:1 on them asap.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It was hanging in a tree. Probably a swarm from the spring time i assume. just decided that was as good a place as any. I do have pictures but i'm not sure how to load them. I just cut hive down and left intact as much as possible, but away branches till it would fit in a deep box. I will need to move them onto frames pretty soon or i'm sure i'll have a huge mess.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts