Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wonder if anyone else has ever had this.

It seems that every time I work my bees within in a few hours my hands itch. Sometimes it is between my fingers, sometimes at the base of my hand. I used ventilated leather gloves. I wonder if it is the ventilated portion that is irritating my wrists. I have tried different creams in the past to try and relieve the itch. Even Benedryl when it is really itchy. Within a few days it seems to go away....until I go and work the bees again.

I have tried nitrile gloves also - a bit better, awfully sweaty and still some itch.

Could I be allergic to bees? I have been bit several times with no major reaction.

BTW - 5 hives, 100% wintering from a very cold winter. Bees have been out the last few nice days scouting and bringing back a 'bit' of the first pollen.

Thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
6,717 Posts
Yes, the leather, if stung often enough, soaks up the bee venom and eventually will irritate your hands.

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Maybe it's an allergy to the goat skin leather gloves, although if it's with nitrile gloves, maybe some other synthetic material. Have you tried the regular gardening gloves to work outdoors? do they bother you? My son will use those if he is helping me. He feels "protected" although I know they are not as good as the leather ones.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I once had a problem with a pair of leather gloves making my hands itch. Not sure if it was something they used in the leather treating process, or just the leather drying my skin out, or what. It was just one particular pair and brand.

Ever tried working in your hive without gloves? If your bees are behaved enough, and you are able to do that without irritation, then probably just the gloves. I don't wear them, unless the girls are having a bad day, but that's not often.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts