Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do yall say to using aluminum foil in the hive for various purposes, like coating non-wax building areas? Practical or harmful? Could make for easy cleanup, and the bees can't chew through it, or can they?

Let me know what yall think!

·
Registered
400 Posts
the bees can't chew through it, or can they?
I think it all depends on whether or not the foil reacts with their fillings. :lookout:

In all seriousness, I have no idea if it's harmful, or not, or if the bees would try to chew it up and haul it out. I assume you propose to use this to make it easier to remove frames, and whatnot? Have you stuck a bit inside to see what they do with it?

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Bees have been known to pull the support wires in foundation out of the hive, so if that aluminum foil comes loose, I'd expect them to drag it out if they can. Mine pulled some plastic wrap I foolishly left on top of the inner cover with some candy all the way through two deeps and out the bottom entrance, they really don't like anything they don't put in the hive.

Besides, what is aluminum foil going to do for you that propolis won't?

Peter

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
It's mainly to prevent them from "gluing" down frames that are slightly off. They shouldn't be able to chew aluminum foil that's in between the contact of the frame top ends and the hive shelf should they?

-- And no, I haven't tried it yet. Also the aluminum shouldn't be very reactive should it? After all, it's deionized I think.

·
Registered
227 Posts
It might cause condensation.
I'd try it in an out of the way spot where water couldn't drop onto the ladies.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It might cause condensation.
I'd try it in an out of the way spot where water couldn't drop onto the ladies.
Oh good point. But, it should be covered on both sides by wood, so I don't think any water will be able to collect

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.