Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use 8-frame medium hive boxes.

I have made the top feeder, bottom-IPM board and the telescoping covers that I suppose all come from brushy mountain via my retail store in NOVA.

The most elusive component to properly finish these hive parts are the flashing components which are are what 26ish ga aluminum?.

I can find the 2x3 sheets of aluminum at LOWES in the stove pipe dept.

Aluminum flashing roll in the building materials dept.

But one thing I can't find nor the way to cleanly cut flashing are 3/4-1" strips for one thing or another and to make those nifty "L" shaped frame rests that are bent to form a 3/8" x 5/8" "L"... dammit.

I just don't know how to search for this but i cant find it....either that or these suppliers have commercial equipmwnt for cutting this stuff untouchable by joe beekeeper.

I saw in another post where somone used printing plates and made this homespun brake for bending the metal sheet....

ANY IDEAS...sorry for the long yappity yap .

·
Registered
737 Posts
Go to your local HVAC supply Co. and ask for a hand held bender for duct work.
They come in 12" -24"
You can cut the strips buy laying a metal square on the aluminum and scaring it with a razor knife a few times and then flex it till it snaps.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Harbor Freight is your friend. They have a cheap break. What I would do is use it with a razor knife to cut for with, then bend it.
David

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Personally, I'd skip the frame rests if you have any SHB problems in your part of the country. They are a perfect hiding place for the buggers.

JMO

Rusty
Frame rests or frame rest protectors? the frame rest with little lip that lifts the frame are indeed a SHB safe haven and should be outlawed IMO. The metal "L" shaped frame protectors are OK although I don't use them any longer. These are the pieces of sheet metal that just protect the frame rest part of the hive body from gouges from the hive tool.
For bending flashing or other brittle aluminum just run a propane flame across the sheet. You can just run it over where the bend is going or over the whole sheet. This will anneal the aluminum so it doesn't crack when being bent. Flashing is not good material for covers again IMO because it is super thin gauge. For frame rest protection it is also a poor choice due to the same reason. Hive tool scaping will go right through it. Also trying to staple it to the wood isn't easy to do without the staple flying right through it.
You get the idea.
For covers you can get some heavier aluminum but I think just some galvanized in thin gauge is better. One easy way to bend it is to clamp one edge of the top at a time with a piece of wood holding the steel down so the metal is sandwiched between the piece of wood and the outer cover. Clamp it so it is tight and slowly tap the metal down/over the edge. Going slow will turn the metal and make the corner any of the many ways available by trimming an angle or what have you. Still not going to be super sharp bend but remember-the bees don't care.
Good luck.

·
Registered
237 Posts
The flashing I bought is the same thickness as the mann lake and brushy mountain tops . I'm cutting with tin snips and bending by hand no problem .

·
Vendor
5,285 Posts
There is another thread on BS somewhere that speaks to using roofing "paint?" or some type of roofing "membrane" instead of aluminum ...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts