Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I built 6, 5 frame nucs yesterday and the low grade knotted pine I used still cost $55.

While I was in there strolling around, I noticed some 1 or maybe it was 1 1/4" thick closed cell pink styrofoam used for R value sheathing (old school stuff would be celotex) on the exterior of houses, a 4x8 sheet was $16. Could probably use liquid nails to glue the pieces together.

I see those beemax hives are styro, wonder if this pink stuff would work? Anyone use material other then wood? I'm just tired of paying shipping, for 5 nucs. unassembled, bodies only, it was close to $80.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Use 1/2" CDX plywood. Or, check the lumber yards for Yellow Pine boards. On top of that, yellow pine has very good rot resistance.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I made some here this spring and got the CDX for about 13.00 a sheet, easy to build too, and with paint should last a while.

·
Registered
57 Posts
kind of off topic but i use 1X12x8 white wood from lowes its only 8 bucks a piece and i can get four deep hive bodies out of three pieces so that's 6 bucks a hive body

·
Registered
119 Posts
If you are thinking of using foamboard, get the "foil" coated stuff, and tape any seams, frame rests, exposed foam corners with HVAC foil tape

bees will chew (low density) foam.

I have used plenty of foamboard in my mating nucs

1 - 7 of 7 Posts