Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if anyone knows of any alternatives to the USDA Bee lab in Beltsville. They are not taking bee samples currently due to Covid. Anyone know of other labs I might be able to contact?

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
you could also try contacting Ken Warchol(SP) from the worcester bee club, I think he retired from being a bee inspector but he may be able to tell you where to get some testing done. what makes you think your bees have nosema?

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mites were well managed all year, but this hive always had some pests that I think caused some stress. Always ants in the lid, a few hive beetles, neither of which were ever in the other hives in my yard. Three weeks ago they were fine and munching on sugar, the other day I peeked in to check the sugar and they were dead in the cluster in the middle of the sugar cake. It was a small cluster. I just want to make sure it’s NOT nosema so I know what to do with the equipment in terms of sanitizing. They were not productive and I combined them with another hive that went queen less in the fall. In October they were two very full deeps of bees. Lots of stores in the hive.

I am going to request an inspection from the state on this one. Ken is still working, retiring this year coming up.

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
It was a small cluster. I just want to make sure it’s NOT nosema so I know what to do with the equipment in terms of sanitizing. They were not productive and I combined them with another hive that went queen less in the fall. In October they were two very full deeps of bees. Lots of stores in the hive.
next time you get a hive like this that doesn't build up you can try doing a fumidil drench a couple of times, has been known to clear up many problems.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone. Emails are sent and inspection requested. We will see. If no response I’m going to treat as though it was Nosema

1 - 10 of 10 Posts