Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious, has anyone besides Little John tried the Russian version of the Delon stable climate hive? The Russian version is called the H-108. There appears to also be a similar analog called the Hive Boa, but I've found virtually no references to that on the forums.

I find scattered references to this hive on the various forums, but little aggregated information and would love to hear about your results if you've experimented with either of these.

A great website (in Russian) and for a starting reference.... http://www.pchelhom.ru/publ/3-1-0-1

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,034 Posts
Just curious, has anyone besides Little John tried the Russian version of the Delon stable climate hive? The Russian version is called the H-108. There appears to also be a similar analog called the Hive Boa, but I've found virtually no references to that on the forums.

I find scattered references to this hive on the various forums, but little aggregated information and would love to hear about your results if you've experimented with either of these.

A great website (in Russian) and for a starting reference.... http://www.pchelhom.ru/publ/3-1-0-1

Thanks!
Go to youtube.
Paste this search "улей удав".
While at it, also search for "рогатый улей".
Enjoy the variety of the material.
Take your time to digest.

PS: yes, I do entertain this idea in general;
but I don't care for the purely commercial version as in your link - way too much maintenance (OK for a commercial keeper; not OK for me);
I am after the ergonomic benefits of these designs (for both the keeper and the bugs).

PPS: in particular, I like some of the ideas presented in this video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zn1E4xh4qiA

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
Wait for it to show the popularity it earns. Then the unit price will be affordable. IF it becomes popular. If it doesn't you won't be stuck with a white elephant.

·
Registered
6,034 Posts
.....If it doesn't you won't be stuck with a white elephant.
No need to be "all or nothing" (to the point of "white elephant").
One needs to just reconfigure the existing equipment some and so be backwards compatible for any reason.
If your frame dimension is compatible to the common frames around you, this is not a white elephant.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Wait for it to show the popularity it earns. Then the unit price will be affordable. IF it becomes popular. If it doesn't you won't be stuck with a white elephant.
Errr - there is no "unit price", as you don't buy these - you make 'em. :)

The Russian 'Alpine' Hive is basically a Warre Hive (Delon Climate-Stable version) with quarter-height boxes instead of the normal Warre half-height boxes. So - a backup position would be to simply run two Russian boxes strapped together (which is exactly what I did for a short while) and run the hive as a standard (Delon) Warre stack.

If they become unloved, those Russian boxes could always be used as Warre 'supers' - same footprint. Nothing need go to waste.
LJ

1 - 5 of 5 Posts