Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
WBC
6 Posts
Hello everyone! I am a new member here.

My name is Elena, I'm a Russian Sebirian by birth.
I have been beekeeping here in the UK for just over two years (on WBSs).
Last winter I built five Alpine hives, and four of which are populated now.

I am really excited that I found someone who have a local experience with Alpine Hives.

·
Registered
WBC
6 Posts
Thank you, hope Bovis would mind posting my pictures here.

I started on a BS 14" x 12" brood box frame size WBC hive - and I still like it a lot.
But I also love experimenting - l try to find my way in balancing some "heritage" techniques and modern approach to beekeeping.
Last winter I built five Alpine hives, four of which are populated now. At the time when I was making them I didn't find anyone beekeeping on this type in the UK, although the other compact-formats like Warre and its modified variations are quite popular here.
My version of Alpine Hive is h-120mm box, brood and supper, with h-110 mm frame, 300mm x 300mm format of the chamber. 8 frames per box with a Hofman sidebar. The floor is mesh and I adopted Warre's gable roof with a cloth mat on top and saw dust isolution quilt.

This year was a rollercoaster with transferring the bees from BS standard to Alpine Hives, further swarming and appearing one of the colonies queenless ... plus the devastating spring... It was a great boot camp!
Nowadays they seem to be settled, having 5-6 boxes, and are working on producing honey.

I am a big fan of comb honey and I look forward to having a humble crop of framed comb honey at the end of this month.

Attachments

·
Registered
WBC
6 Posts
They are very lady-friendly indeed.

I'm ending this season with eight Alpiski Hives, all made over the last six months.
The four early summer ones are goint to winter on four boxes, and the others (made in August) on three. Deep roofs and moss quilts are on, all ready for overwintering.

Attachments

·
Registered
WBC
6 Posts
Thanks everyone.

The apiary is in a little village Knowl Hill, there is an abandoned farm land around, lots of trees and hadges and wild flowers here.

Love WBC. In fact my first honey I had this year was on alpiski frame even befor I populated my very first Alpiski hive. - I put a couple of its supers on top of 14'x12' brood box inside WBC hive.
Another quite an obvies thing to use an alpiski as a super for Warre Hive. I shared this idea amongh my local BKA and offered to provide two supers to someone who has a Warre, so should get some results early next year.
Little John is very good at mix-and-matching stuff - I'll definitely try his suspended alpiski inside NS super!

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts