Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this in an empty nuc, I had a Queen I was going to do away with, and all the foragers flew back, So I left it for awhile, and added this frame of brood from another hive, They keep uncapping the brood for some reason.

IMG_1512_zpsv6fvp73a.jpg

Bald Brood? I always see wax moths around

Attachments

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
Looks like no honey and no foragers. No way for the bees to feed the frame of brood you gave them so they are eating it to survive!

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This was a colony that I cut out of a wall, they never would eat patty or syrup, So I combined the whole colony with another sorry nuc, with a mated queen. I was going to kill the queen, but decided to evaluate her with different bees, they would not eat anything either, but there was at least a frame of bees in there with foragers, they are gone, no way the swarm I caught today came from there. I'm thinking wax moth taking over with low population.
will that brood live without bee coverage? or is it dead allready?

·
Registered
4ish langstrom hives
1,459 Posts
How are your mite levels? I have seen spotty capping in a hive that had a high mite load. I think the bees were being hygnic and trying to get rid of the mites.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I treated that specific hive 3 times with OAV, but tested 3 hives in the yard and all only found 1 mite per test. They may be some hygenic breed, that's why I wanted to give the queen one more chance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts