Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, All! Every once in a while there is a good laying queen you can be proud of.
She is a new Spring laying queen so need to get her pattern down maybe after laying for a while.
You think she will be an exceptional queen? Any other pic to compare with?

Local laying queen:

Attachments

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Maybe if you brushed some of those bees off of the comb one could see what you are showing us? It does look like a rather well laid comb, but it also appears as though there are quite a few open cells scattered all over the place. I would wonder why. It may or may not be the queen causing the spottiness. And I would definitely keep her.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Maybe. Maybe chalkbrood. May be where the wires go through the foundation. Makes me curious. That's all. Not fearful, just curious.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Could simply be larval mortality. Not 100% of eggs live to pupate. Could also be hygienic behavior, as someone else suggested. Maybe the cells had food in there and the queen passed by before the workers got to clean it out. Maybe they just started hatching already, and thus leaving voids. Maybe the queen had a sex allele in common with a few drones she mated with.

Could be a lot of things. Could be all of that combined. Nothing to worry about, though, as it's perfectly normal not to have a 100% capped brood frame.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts