Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So far the only successful methods I've found for replacing my own hives is swarm collecting and splits. I'm working towards learning the more advanced methods, but so far that's still a little out of my league.

Can someone explain what to look for in brood?

I see eggs, uncapped larva, and then capped larva usually. From which of these three will the bees in a split make a queen? Is it only the eggs? Or is it the eggs or uncapped larva? Or can they make a queen out of any of the three?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Bees will make a queen out of lava up to 3 and 4 days old. When I make up a nuc I get a frame of capped brood one with eggs and larva in various stages. I also add a frame with pollen and honey for food and 2 frames of foundation on the out side of the 5 frame deep nuc. You can pull the frames out of deep different hive and be sure to leave the bees on them. Then take a frame of nurse bees and shake them into the nuc. Close it up and you should have capped queen cells in 6-8 days. It takes another 8 days for her to emerge and additional 10-15 days to start laying. I hope this answers your question and good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts