Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever had experience with an antiphylatic reaction to a sting? This is not the normal hives, rash and swelling but rather passing out, very low blood pressure and is considered life-threatening. If so, have you known anyone that got stung after experiencing this type of reaction. What happened?

The reason I am asking is my wife experienced this type of reaction earlier this week and was treated at the hospital. She had not shown any of these types of reactions in the past and we did not have an epipen. We do now and would advise all who are beekeepers!!! My wife now keeps the epipen with her and our Bees have been moved 4 miles away from our house(I am not willing to take a chance). Wife is doing well thank the good Lord. Just wondered if anyone who has experienced this has been stung again and what kind of reaction they experienced?

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Yes I have a Sister in Law that has been stung a few times as you mention here. She is so allergic now that once she uses the epipen she still must go to the ER as rapidly as possible to get another shot and be admitted to the hospital. She started out simply just swelling up as a kid. Then one day out of the blue she was stung by a Red Wasp. It changed the game all together. From there on she's had to have the epipen, and with each time she is stung it seems to get worse. It's so bad she refuses to come to my home at this point, which i don't blame her.

·
Registered
37 Posts
My husband and I both started out as beekeepers. One day we both were stung once -- nothing out of the ordinary. I went off to do other things and when I came into the house, I found him laying on the floor because he felt faint. His whole body was flushed and he had a rash everywhere. I loaded him into the car and off to the ER we went. Like your wife, he was treated and came home with an EpiPen. Now I am the bee keeper! We still have bees on our urban lot - but he keeps clear of them as much as possible. I try to work the bees on days he isn't outside. I also have taken over the lawn mowing activity : ( But for the most part, everyone is living in harmony. He has not been stung again--but I figure it is just a matter of time. I am somewhat curious to see if he gets a similar reaction. If so -- epi-pen is here. If no reaction -- he is back doing the lawn mowing!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts