Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you please help me read these photo's?

A couple weeks ago I experimented with cutting out honey, comb and all from alternating frames in a medium super. Purpose was to collect honey left over from winter, via crush-and-strain.

Today re-opened hive. One frame has been neatened up but mostly the same comb as left when I cut out comb. Another frame where I had cut out the comb and honey with a knife, the bees had filled in with what appears to be drone cells? See also a deep frame from the center of the lowest hive body.

I sure would appreciate all your observations about what you think I should be learning from these pics.
Thank you.
-Lee in the Black Hills, SD

·
Registered
6,695 Posts
Yes, that is one beautiful frame of drone brood. In the spring, if you just insert one or two blank frames they'll usually build it in drone comb, especially in the first super above the brood. If you use a queen excluder, they'll draw all blank frames above the excluder in drone comb. They use drone sized comb for honey storage comb as well as drone brood, less wax to draw therefore more honey stored.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you RayMarler. That is consistent with what I am seeing.

So now, another, larger question...
I am also building a top bar hive. I have read that bees in a TBH make -smaller- sized cells. But how does that reconcile with bees in a Langstroth building -larger- cells in a foundationless frame?

I really need help with this one.
Thank you.
-Lee in the Black Hills

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
I have read that bees in a TBH make -smaller- sized cells.

Smaller than what? Honey storage cells in a TBH will be larger than worker brood cells in a Langstroth hive.

But how does that reconcile with bees in a Langstroth building -larger- cells in a foundationless frame?

Bees build different sized cells for different purposes. If the colony is at the stage that it wants drones or honey storage cells, it will draw large cells when given the opportunity. If a colony is at the stage that it wants to draw worker brood cells, it will draw brood cells if given the opportunity.

Worker brood cells in a TBH or a foundationless frame will be smaller than worker brood cells drawn on 5.4 wax foundation.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts