Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noticed a lot of my bees are very dark and some are completely black. Is this normal? Is it a mutation? Or is a breed? Thanks for your info.
I have pictures

·
Registered
323 Posts
I've had all black to all blond ,, its what ever the mix of drones from 10 queens back to yesterdays drone that had your queen ,, right now one of my hives are mostly real light blonds ,, so light there almost white ,, the other hives are darker ..

·
Premium Member
857 Posts
I keep bees in West Texas. I only have three hives, and all three of my hive have superceded the queen, so I now have queens from feral stock. Some of my bees are just like the one you show in your photo. My bees are now lighter in color as a group, but I see a few of these black butted bees. It must be a feral thing.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I've got a hive started from a nuc that are "carniolian cross" that look like that. The queen is mostly black but her offspring have some yellow banding and some are almost completely black. I caught a feral swarm last week that are dark colored and much larger bees that what are in my purchased hives. I have yet to spot the queen in that hive but I need to get back in there tonight to replace some frames with sagging foundation.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I've noticed that when I spot what I think are feral bees in my area (four or five miles from my hive) they always seem to be darker than mine. Mine are from two nucs I bought last year & as far as I know haven't superseded since I've had them.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Feral bees here tend to be dark and larger than standard Italians. Work like crazy, don't have mites, run the SHB out of the hive, normally are quite gentle, and glue things up like crazy, including the hole in the inner cover and entrance.

Probably Carniolan/ German origin -- people quit raising German bees a century or so ago because of the propolis, but they seem to do fine in the wild here. I'll put up with the sticky stuff if I get to keep my bees, eh?

Peter

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
That color is typical of A.M. Intermissa. There is a disease called Hairless Black Syndrome that can affect bees and looks somewhat similar.

Reactions: rdimanin

·
Registered
47 Posts
We have one hive of Russians that are very dark ...I'd have to look closely to see if we have any that are completely black like the one in the pic. But I have seen some that only have one small band of color.

·
Super Moderator
Santa Cruz, CA
1,120 Posts
Justi, this post is 9 years old and the OP hasn't logged in since this post on May 5th 2012.

As such, it's safe to say this queen is no longer living.

Make sure to check the post date as you read through the forum.

Glad you're here though and hope you're learning a lot!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts