Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a new nuc delivered in mid may. Richmond, Va area.

First test I have done with the hive, and there were no mites at all in the liquid.
Lots of shaking, as I could see what I thought were flakes of wax floating around, but zero mites

This makes me happy, but should I be worried that I had zero, instead of an expected few, at least?
I'm pretty sure I did the test right, I got a half cup of bee's from a frame with brood in all stages on it.

Should I just be happy and count my blessing, or maybe do a retest?

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,881 Posts
Retest in a week. I can't believe you have zero mites at this time of year here in Richmond. We have mites here and right now we have lots of them. If you got VSH queens from John D, you may be OK. Otherwise...

·
Registered
151 Posts
Last year I treated with MAQS in mid summer. I tested for mites around mid-October and found none. I noticed mites on the bottom board shortly after that. Treated with OAV and had a HUGE mite drop.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I picked up two nucs from John Davis on May 22nd and did alcohol washes at the end of June and then a couple of days ago (taken from the middle of the brood nest). Both times, I had an experienced beekeeper at my side. Both tests returned zero mites in the two hives. I know that I’ll eventually have mites and am prepared with a brand new Varrox plus other options.

·
Registered
7,837 Posts
I know that I’ll eventually have mites and am prepared with a brand new Varrox plus other options.
You already have mites. Maybe not in huge numbers yet....but....guaranteed....they are there. It doesn't matter where those bees came from, mites came with them. If there was any way to totally eliminate mites they would have ceased to be an issue long ago.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OP here. Just to follow up on this thread. I waited a week and did another alcohol wash choosing bees from a frame that had open brood and got 0 count again.

Yesterday JWPalmer graciously came over, and in the vicious heat of a Virginia summer day, mentored me through a full hive inspection and we finished off by adding a screen bottom and sticky board and doing a OAV treatment. I pulled the board today (24 hrs) and went over every square with magnifying glass and was very pleased to only find 3 mites.

So as I thought, and deep down knew, I did have mites, but just very few at this time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts