Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long do you guys think the alarm pheromone from squished bees stays on your jacket/veil? I had it out with a cranky, queenless hive a few days ago and I have a cutout to do tomorrow. Will the pheromone just "air out"? I've always just worn a long sleeve shirt that I would wash after each use and veil in the past but I stepped up to an ultra breeze jacket this year. Love the jacket by the way, had a hive go absolutely ballistic on me this spring and never got a sting through the jacket. I don't want to wash it too often and tear it up as it wasn't cheap. I smoke it right before I put it away in a plastic tote after each use.

·
Registered
302 Posts
How long do you guys think the alarm pheromone from squished bees stays on your jacket/veil? I had it out with a cranky, queenless hive a few days ago and I have a cutout to do tomorrow. Will the pheromone just "air out"? I've always just worn a long sleeve shirt that I would wash after each use and veil in the past but I stepped up to an ultra breeze jacket this year. Love the jacket by the way, had a hive go absolutely ballistic on me this spring and never got a sting through the jacket. I don't want to wash it too often and tear it up as it wasn't cheap. I smoke it right before I put it away in a plastic tote after each use.
Can't comment on the pheromone but there are large mesh bags that you can put the jacket in, and then put in the wash. Available on Amazon...same product that women wash their dedicates in...

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. I let it air out pretty good. Wife and I are leaving for trapout now. Hopefully the endless rain will hold off.......

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
2,522 Posts
Hi just bumping this thread.\I did search my question and this one was close so I am recycling it.
Also to reinforce there is nothing new in keeping just my ignorance needing fixed.

I also had it out with a queenless hive yesterday, and today the bees almost attacked the spots 3 of them where the bees stung yesterday. Glove sleeve, pant leg, and veil edge. at least 2/3 were o ghee another stung my glove or veil. the ones on my pant leg, some what higher up inside thigh, WERE a bit of a distraction. Actually big distraction, sorry to mislead you. 6 or 8 actually got thru the jeans and handed me some venom, the stinger was only in the pants however.

So what is the field experience from those that tend bees almost every day??
Am I going to need a second suit and gloves to allow some time for the Alarm Pheromones' to wear off.
the jeans I have thank the lord.

Any secret spray on that mitigates the smell?

I can say one day 24, hrs. seems to be insufficient to make my parts feel save.

Any suggestions?
don't say Depends,,,, I already thought of that..

thank you in advance for your help.

GG

1 - 7 of 7 Posts