Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In considering all the new wooden ware my son and I have to prime and paint, I was wondering about an airless sprayer. I stopped in and had a chat with my local Sherwin-Williams paint dealer to see if it would be an economical and faster way to go. Just for talking purposes, we looked at the Titan Impact 440 Electric Airless Sprayer which retails for around $900.

The max tip size for this machine is .023" and shoots .54 GPM. The tip diameter kind of dictates what quality of paint one must use. The bigger and better machines have a larger tip diameter and thus can use a lower grade paint. Since this 440 has a .023" tip, it requires a paint more towards the upper middle of the line. How much a gallon I asked? $71 per gallon, oh but it does go on sale periodically for $30 off!

Finally, he also told me that new outside wood also required a back roll or back brush in order to work the paint deeper into the wood. Not doing so would allow the paint to float on the surface and would be reason for paint peel shortly down the road. Had it been inside work, there wouldn't be need for the back roll/brush added labor.

So the take-away from this discussion, was that these machines are more for indoor applications not requiring the back roll/brush labor. Somehow the time and cost to apply the paint and then to have to go over the same real estate a second time with the back roll/brush in order to send the paint deeper into the wood just doesn't appeal to me as an overall time and $$ saver! Perhaps the honest advice from a commercial painter who keeps bees is needed here, rather than a sales pitch from a salesman!

All in all, it sounds like I'll be sticking with my Lowe's $30 gallon paint and the FORWARD roll/brush application I've been using all these years!

·
Registered
976 Posts
Go to harbor freight, but an airless there. Less than 100.00 . Airless will spray any latex paint. Very thick viscosity, add very little water or Flo trol. Spray primer and then 1 coat satin or semi gloss over the primer will last allot of years. Also, go to home depot. I'm a professional painter for almost 40nyrs. Glidden premium, or glidden professional are excellent paints. Usually 22.00 per gallon. Holiday sales usually 10.00 of mail in rebate. Sherwin Williams are good paints , over priced 2 times or more than they are worth. Glidden rules for me. 35 plus years with glidden paints and never a callback for paint failure. Also, it's always best to backroll first coat of anything sprayed.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Speaking as a painting contractor. Titan makes a great pump. Not my favorite Chevy ford thing. Unless you are painting a ton of boxes . You are better just brush and roller them. On wood i to like to backroll the primer coat. For all the reason that SW talk about. I love Wooster little 4” roller frame they actually roll. When done I just park the roller skin in a zip lock bag with the air work out. They will stay good for a long time.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Speaking as a painting contractor. Titan makes a great pump. Not my favorite Chevy ford thing. Unless you are painting a ton of boxes . You are better just brush and roller them. On wood i to like to backroll the primer coat. For all the reason that SW talk about. I love Wooster little 4” roller frame they actually roll. When done I just park the roller skin in a zip lock bag with the air work out. They will stay good for a long time.
Must be a Titan guy. Agree, brush or roll , at least the primer.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Prime bare wood. The primer will help the paint stick to the wood.

Go back and ask your Sherwin Williams dealer about mistinted exterior paint. My local S&W sells mistints for $5/gallon, and I can often pick up a high grade exterior paint for dirt cheap by not not being picky about the color.

But you need to make sure you prime bare wood first.

Graco makes an airless sprayer where the paint reservoir is a collapsible bag so the reservoir is airtight and always like its full. They are supposed to be quite good. Check Amazon. Search the forum for Graco, a few of the forum members are using them.

For good results to help the paint stick to the bare wood you should prime it first.

Oh, did I mention how important it is to prime bare wood?

·
Registered
679 Posts
Prime bare wood. The primer will help the paint stick to the wood.

Go back and ask your Sherwin Williams dealer about mistinted exterior paint. My local S&W sells mistints for $5/gallon, and I can often pick up a high grade exterior paint for dirt cheap by not not being picky about the color.
My son works at Sherwin Williams. Guess who just got a text?:D

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all for the comments. I do hit Home Depot, Menard's and Lowe's to check out their mis-tint paint. This time of year its only interior.

I appreciate all the other comments, but I still have a problem with the idea of back rolling, as the whole idea was to get away from the brush and/or roller. I do have one question on the back rolling though, is it done with a wet loaded roller? If so, I can see maybe doing all 4 sides in a quick 30 seconds which should be pretty easy since the paint has already been sprayed on. I did check Craig's list for a Titan 440, nothing showing up at this time.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Tennessee Ya my wife love it when, I over spray her. I think a better spray pattern would be to turn the tip 90 degrees and spray it all vertical. Less chance of over loading the corners and running.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Tennessee Ya my wife love it when, I over spray her. I think a better spray pattern would be to turn the tip 90 degrees and spray it all vertical. Less chance of over loading the corners and running.
Ill try that next time I paint something but it won't be bee equipment. I went to dipping them this year and I am not going back!

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Tennessee I turn the tip for witch ever works. Take the side of a house. I would do it the way you was doing it. Vertical long strokes I would turn it. Have fun be safe.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts