Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been told that many of the feral hives of bees in my area are highly likely Africanized. Is it possible to collect these bees, kill the queen and requeen. My brother has told me that the AHB hives will allow the queen for approximately 5-6 weeks and then kill her.

What is the opinion here?:scratch:

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Im sure we get AHB genes in our feral swarms here in Florida. We get swarms all the time, once we establish the swarm in a hive and she starts layin, we requeen. I have not seen the 5-6 week issue you bring up.

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
We requeen Africanized successfully all the time in Florida. I have never experienced superceding a healthy queen. What they probably noticed is the queen mated with AHB drones or was replaced in swarming or supercedure and they went hot again. That is why I buy mated marked queens. The AHB have not figured out how to counterfeit the dot yet.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
I have lost many queens when trying to requeen AHB hives with various, ordinary requeening techniques. I finally found success by removing the original AHB queen (holding her and a frame or two of bees in a nuc box - just in case), then using a push-in cage to confine the new queen over an area of emerging brood. In a few days, once she has begun to lay, the cage can be removed and she will usually be accepted well.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I have been told that many of the feral hives of bees in my area are highly likely Africanized.
You just came out of a colder than normal winter. AHB do not cluster and normally will not survive winters in your area. Who told you that ferals in your area are "highly likely Africanized"? I doubt this statement; although the map will probably show a confirmed Ahb colony from unknown source. However there is always that risk of an occasional Ahb colony.

Is it possible to collect these bees, kill the queen and requeen.
I purchased 2 colonies last year from an area about 100 miles south of me. One was africanized. I split and requeened both splits with marked MHQ [couldn't find the AHB queen]. The split with the AHB queen of course didn't take, but the split without the queen took just like all the others I have requeened; however, now I would not pull the candy cork for about 3 days and destroy all queen cells before the MHQ was released. I then moved the colony [with the AHB queen] during the middle of the day about 20 feet and replaced with another box with drawn frames and another queen. This reduced the population drastically in the AHB colony allowing me to find the queen and dispose of her. I waited about 5-7 days, destroyed all the queen cells and moved the box back to the original location with the already released MHQ queen. Then I had 2 colonies from 1 AHb both with MHQ. Once I got rid of the AHB queen and destroyed the queen cells there was no acceptance problem.

My brother has told me that the AHB hives will allow the queen for approximately 5-6 weeks and then kill her.What is the opinion here?:scratch:
In 5-6 weeks there will be very few ahb bees left, so I don't see how this would be an issue any longer.

Kindest regards
Danny

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Beekeeper1756:

This is the explanation I posted on the other thread "Very aggressive colony".

If you want to save the colony it will take some tenacity on your part. First I would suggest that you go to Michael Bush's site and read about dealing with hot hives here: http://www.bushfarms.com/beesrequeeninghot.htm

I dealt with my africanized colony and won so I have some experience with this issue and here is what I would do.

Step 1: Prepare a bottom, top, and hive box with some drawn frames if you have it. Prepare a spot for the Hot colony at least 20-30 feet away. Suit up for war, smoke them, and stir them up and then move them to the new location and place the drawn frames prepared new bee box in the old location. If there is [which there should be] sufficient foragers returning to the old location, you can then introduce a new queen to the new box at the old location.

Now the older most aggressive bees should be at the old location. Give them a day to settle down and get after them again.

Step 2. Smoke them and try to find the queen again. If you still can't find the queen and because they are to aggressive then repeat Step 1 with what is left of the original colony. If, however, you just can't find the queen [but they are bearable to work] then divide the colony between 2 boxes, divide with a queen excluder, and wait about 5 days. The queen will then be in the box with the eggs. Now you know which box the queen is in. By now all the eggs and larva in the other box [which does not have new eggs] will be beyond the time for making queens, so the box just divided that doesn't have the eggs can be moved and joined in with the old colony with the new queen, but don't stir the new queen colony because your don't want the bees to kill you new queen if she has been released. Just pull the top and place the box w/brood on top.

Step 3. Now, with the Box that has the fresh eggs/larva repeat Step 2. until you have find the queen or their population is so depleted it doesn't matter.

If at any time you find the queen, kill her, wait 5 days, destroy all the queen cells and either rejoin with the colony that has the new queen, or reintroduce another queen. When I did mine I ended up with 2 colonies from the 1 africanized colony which made my effort worthwhile.

I hope this helps and may the Lord Bless you in your efforts, but again please read Michael's site above first.

Kindest Regards
Danny

1 - 6 of 6 Posts