Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a question that popped in my mind a few days ago. In areas that have AHB where queens are raised or virgin queens of any other race than AHB are introduced into a established hive and they mate with a AHB drone will that queens brood have offspring with AHB traits.

Just wondering cause some folks will say they have a "hot" hive for some unknown reason. Course weather, time of day, dearth, how they handle them might come into play but some folks can have 10 hives and one will just be more unruly than the others for no apparent reason.

Just seeing what others might think about this, I am no entomologist by any means so can't tell you one thing or another about bug genectics but it had me curious.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Answer to your question; yes, if the queen mates with AHB drones the offspring can have AHB traits. However, a queen mates with 12-24 drones normally, so in that case you would have a mix of offspring, some with AHB traits and some without if she mated with European as well as AHB drones. The solution most queen raising operations use is to flood the mating areas with European drones so that the percentages of the queen mating with AHB drones is minimized. We raise our own queens in a designated AHB area and have had little to no problem. We keep drone combs in our hives and during our citrus flow we include a bunch of new drone foundation so we have the combs available for that purpose. Like you stated, some hives are just plain aggressive, no matter the type of bee. It's been that way since I got into beekeeping 50 years ago; we had hot hives then and still have them.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts