Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used this product? Tractor supply had it but didn't have guard star. 38% permethrin, not sure what the other ingredients are but I would think it's comparable. Having a hell of a time with hive beetles right now, bees are keeping them at bay but thre are way more than I want around. Thanks.

Hunter

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't find it online right now but I swear I saw a permethrin product at tractor supply today called Agrisel. It was being marketed for termite control but had the normal list of things permethrin kills on the label. I'm going to do a ground drench for beetle larvae

·
Registered
309 Posts
"I'm going to do a ground drench for beetle larvae"

Ground treatments, in general, have been shown to be ineffective against SHB. Take a deep breath and appreciate the fact that your bees are keeping them at bay. While the beetles are the root cause, it's the larvae that are the real problem and cause for concern. If you are not seeing any SHB larvae burrowing through your combs then you don't have a problem, just annoying adult beetles running around. Traps are sometimes necessary if you begin to see damage but I would stay away from chemical treatments.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I agree with SWM. Ground drenching is just not effective in my opinion. Strong hives, full sun, traps if you get too worried and last resort is a Freeman bottom board with a pan of oil underneath.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I lost a split to hive beetles a few weeks ago and there were a lot of larvae in short order. I'm about to make splits again I want to treat the ground around the new location beforehand as well as around my existing colonies, it will also take care of ants and other pests around the hives. I've been meaning to treat the yard for fleas anyhow. I see it as an inexpensive precaution. Permethrin is the main ingredient in the a lot organic pesticides and has no residual toxicity to bees once it's dry, you just don't want to spray a field or around your hives while they're milling about. I also wouldn't apply it under a colony that had a screen bottom board.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The product is Agrisel Zone Plus. I only recall the name Agrisel but found it online.

·
Registered
65 colonies +/- mostly Langstroth mediums, a few deeps for nuc production
440 Posts
Ground treatments do not do anything to reduce SHB infestations in the hive as mentioned in several posts above.
However
Understanding the life cycle of the pests and properly using appropriate measures to match your management philosophy is part of successful beekeeping.
SHB pupation rates are temperature dependant.
An early application of Gardstar in the spring is to reduce the number of larvae that successfully grow to adults and return to reproduce as the season progresses.
We often don't see the few larvae that are in the hive in the spring because they are not in concentrated masses and there are lots of bees removing the eggs.
A second application when the ground is warmer in summer and the pupation time has decreased from weeks to 10 days or so is to reduce the population explosion that many folks observe in summer.
Unfortunately the adult beetles overwinter in the cluster and mimic the mandible stroking behavior of bees so the bees feed them.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies, I'm aware it won't kill the beetles in the hives but being that comb isn't the only place they lay eggs and not knowing where else they are and how many larvae are making it safely to the soil, treating the ground in my yard seems the prudent thing to do given the numbers. The first 18 months I had bees and kept them at the farm I never saw more than a dozen beetles, if that, between two colonies. Since bringing them home, getting a few more hives and making splits I'm seeing dozens in single colonies, maybe as many as 100 in the most infested hive.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I don't know why any of the grub killers we use on our lawns wouldn't work and would likely be safer to apply. I had a hive that died out and had some beetle larva working in it. I decided to look around to see where the larva buried themselves around the hive. I found them pretty shallow and often under leaves and the pieces of wood that the nuc was sitting on . They were at places where a pesticide might not ordinarily reach.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I treated the ground around my hives with 10% permethrin instead. There was a smaller bottle of it at Tractor Supply that was 6-7 bucks compared to nearly 40 for the Gardstar product. At the very least I'm seeing less of an ant issue.

·
Registered
63 Posts
A 2010 study from the University of Georgia Honeybee program:
https://academic.oup.com/jee/article-abstract/103/1/1/2199356

I've been using H. indica nematodes twice a year for the past two years. I am in a warm climate and the SHB hit my first hive a month after the package was installed.
I've been seeing fewer hive beetles, catching fewer in the beetle traps and no longer see several running on the frames when I open a hive. There are still some in the hives but not like a year ago. This includes swarms caught this past spring and established hives.

This is where I purchase them:
http://www.southeasterninsectaries.com/

It is $40 (including shipping and taxes) for 5 million nematodes to treat 10 hives.

That permethrin will kill the good guys in the ground as well as the bad guys.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts