Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question about my bees behaviour, if any of you has see that before, please let me know...
Only 1 hive from 3 + 3 nucs in my yard are doing that.
All was fine until a month ago (lots of bees, good brood pattern, etc.), but starting early May the bees seemed more agitated even without opening the hive (looking through back door without removing the inner screen I could see there would “jump” easily like if I was blowing on them). They were not agressive but agitated. That’s the day I grafted from that queen…
Now these last two weeks it’s gotten way worse, and today I fully inspected and it was a bit crazy the way they behaved. Similar to robbing frenzy ( but I am quite sure there is no robbing!), no aggressiveness, zero sting, tons of bees, brood looks excellent, full capped brood frames, eggs and all and queen quiet and doing her stuff… BUT bees are like jumping on trampoline ! Completely crazy, when I slide frames out of the hive, hundreds of bees fly away (in the shed!) at high speed. Also roaring sound from the whole hive…even though they are totally queenright!
No sign of disease, no uncapped brood or EFB signs, lots of nectar (blueberry flow on)… I cannot figure why they behave like that but I don’t feel relaxed inspecting them even though they don’t attack me!
IF you have any opinion… I would appreciate!

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
2,536 Posts
some of the things that can affect behavior
Queen less, which you already covered.
Ants at war with ants
Skunks eating some bees every night
Vibrations obvious is a train but some other things like a wind mill of something could affect.
Dearth is there something for a flow there now, lack of nectar can be an issue, one could try to feed and see if the mood changes.
genetics could just be the kind off bee these are.
chemicals picking up something somewhere dumpster, or something not optimal for them.

I agree odd behavior

let us know when you have it figured out.

GG

·
Registered
138 Posts
Check for swarm cells. When it sounds like a thousand drones are flying and the entrances are super busy I know a hive is getting close to swarming.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the suggestions.
No swarming, the noise is not coming from drones flying, but more like a roaring from deep inside (like when queenless, but they are not).
There are no disturbance by animals or other things because the hive is in a shed (Sovenian style hive).
We are in blackberry flow, so no worry about food either...
Chemical disturbance is a possibility...??
Yesterday I removed the queen and gave them a frame of larvae and eggs from another colony which is very calm. Will let them requeen and see...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts