Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fish cat food, is the bait. That high up, I could probably poison with rat pellets, but will try "humane" way first.
Anyone here, good at identifying animal doodie? Property owner said raccoon or fox, but I don't see many foxes around, they must be too foxy.
Last pic is 2 quart mason jar nucs, of course with widemouth lids.
Deck was for swarm traps, but that much height is not necessary, 6+ feet up seems to work around here just fine.

View attachment 9753

View attachment 9754

View attachment 9755

View attachment 9756

·
Registered
19 Posts
RACCOON for sure Get a bigger trap and camo it a little with some greens. **** are a little smarter than we often think. Catfood with fish is good bait idea

·
Registered
Possum Valley, TN Bee Wrangler
834 Posts
two or three *****. peanut butter works good also. If it is a loose bait that can be pulled off of the trip pan, they will pull it to the side of the cage and out, I have had to tie baits onto the trip pan. Peanut butter can not be pull off of the pan but give them a taste.

·
Registered
324 Posts
**** Cuffs baited with a smear of Anchovie Paste on a Marshmeller! Unless you want to Live Trap them in a cage trap then use Peanut Butter and a Sardine can cracked open. If its an aluminum Sardine can do not be surprised if its torn into pieces. ***** are from the Bear family but have superior brains, rip roaring teeth, dexterous fingers and more curious.
If its a big ol male save the Penis bone for a toothpick if you decide to dispatch it.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Send me a PM with an address and I'l be glad to. You'll have to carve it how you want it. Each one is different size and maybe just a little difference in shape. When I get a few more I'm giving one of my daughters a necklace made from them.
If you saw the Johnny Depp movie the Lone Ranger a Texas Ranger had one round his neck and Depp used one to scratch his nose.
I believe the correct name is baculum or something like that.
Here in Texas we call them Arkansas Toothpicks.
Another strange animal fact is that Elk have 2 Ivory teeth that supposedly were tusks years ago before they evolved to present day.
My SIL had a pair and kept them in his jeans pocket with coins and a pocket knife and polished them that way for about 3 years.
They are beautiful! He's having them made into earrings.
Nature is wonderful in all her glory!!!

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Marshmallows work well, no cats and only a few opossums in a live trap.

Those **** cuffs work well if you have cats around. Folks get up in arms about catching their tabby in a leg hold. I always thought keep that darn cat in your yard. Lots of folks sure complain if a dog or horse or other critter belonging to someone else comes into their yard, but they act as cat owners that they are exempt.

Sorry about the rant. Just hate feral or free roaming cats.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
We always check for elk ivories ,even when we run across a carcass some people don't seem to know about them or don't care but we have always thought of them as valuable .This is odd but there is a fish in are area called sheepshead or some call them drum and they can have ivories also , there actually the ear bone , they polish up real nice and jewelry can be made .

·
Registered
813 Posts
Another vote for Raccoon..... As has already been posted large marshmallows work great.... Caught 9 last fall in a large "hav-a-hart" trap.... Also caught 7 possums....

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Raccoons usually defecate in specific areas...raccoon latrines. As in this photo they don't bury their scat but it usually is pile on top of logs or the like. It could be that your hive platform is their new latrine.
If it is raccoon scat take care. Many carry a parasite called Baylis ascaris...the microscopic eggs will be in the feces. It is neurotrophic in the wrong and can be very nasty. The eggs can dealt with by pouring scaling water in the area of the feces.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I was tempted to try the koolaid method when I found my koi all over the backyard, but chickened out. Still see the robbers running into culverts around the streets, but they haven't gone for my tbh yet.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts