Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a hive that as soon as I get with in ten feet they are head butting and stinging. Hived it on April 22, checked it seven days later the queen was laying. They seemed docile until two days ago. So am I correct to think that the guard bees are still from the original package. So is it a possibility now that the bees will be emerging, that in two weeks or so they may not be as aggressive?

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
weak hives trying to grow in spring can be a bit aggressive. And yes less older bees and more young bees will be nicer. Give em a few weeks.

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
Grumpy old bees! You likely don't have many of "your" queen's own bees out and about yet. You have the package bees and who knows what experiences of keepers they have had.

Something to think about: are the bees being defensive (deliberately going on the attack) or are they the being curious/watchful about a new element appearing in their environment but then their flying out to look you over results in stings when they get caught in your hair or bang into you as you dodge them?

I wondered about this because I work my bees generally without smoke and often barehanded (but always with a veil to protect my eyes and face). I was feeling that my bees became more gentle and tolerant and used to me over the long winter. And yet for awhile there earlier this Spring, I was getting stung almost every morning when I went out just to say hello. The difference was that when I was just visiting I didn't have my hive jacket on so when they buzzed on over they got tangled up with me, with predictable, bad results.

So now I slip the jacket on beforehand and things are peaceful again. I even nap (with jacket/veil on) in a chair right in front of the hives (my hives all a-humming away is the most effective sleep inducer I know). It's still too cool here for shorts and anyway in this area Lyme-disease ticks make bare legs, or even pants not tucked into socks, unlikely. When I started sitting still I found that that the "guard bees" were just being inquisitive and would walk all over me and "taste" my clothes without even thinking about stinging.

Enj.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts