Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been working on an apiary with about 50 Langstroth hives. It has been neglected for about 4 years and so wax moth has caused alot of damage. The combs have grown old and brown and the bees are highly aggressive.

I can only spend 20min max as the bees rain down like hard rain before having to retreat in the truck and drive away until they clear before returning after they have calmed down that takes hours.

I am trying to work out why the bees are so aggressive here. Do you have any ideas?

Note: These are African bees not the interbred Africanised bees that were introduced into Brazil back in the 50's

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
Besides having the dominant African gene, they have been neglected for a long time. From neglect they have become stressed and defensive to survive. Requeening and bringing the hives back to health will make them manageable. Until that time use plenty of smoke and wear more to protect you from stings. The bees will calm down when they know you are not a threat, but their caretaker.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I'd love to learn more from you about bees in your area. Are other beekeepers' hives aggressive? Is varroa in Uganda? Do beekeepers need to treat for it?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Generally yes, the bees are aggressive. It is not unusual to be chased over distances for hours but this apiary is the cream of the crop.

Varroa is non existent in Uganda and Africa as far as I know so treatments are not used.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts