Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had one of the most aggravating call today. The guy called me this morning wanting to know if I would get his bees. There are going into the house through the second story soffit he said. He told me he has tried to kill them several times by spaying them. The problem is he is too scared to get closer then 20 feet.
I asked him if he would go into the attic to see if they are there or just in the soffit. He told me he would not; he said he is not going near them. So I told him that I didn’t want to drive 30 minutes for nothing and I needed to know how hard it is going to be to get them. He still said he was not going into the attic, so I told him that I was not interested. This call took about 20 mins.
Then his wife called, said she sees bees flying around the front of the house and is scared for the kids (we all know that bees that are two stories high will fly directly down and sting kids for no reason at all). She told me that her husband would not go into the attic and can I please come and get them.
I asked her how many bees she sees in front of her house. She told me she saw this big cloud. I told her that it is a swarm. I asked her to go look in the trees by the house and sure enough there was a swarm in her front tree. She started to freak out on the phone. I told her it’s ok they will not harm her and that it is safe.
She asked me to please come and get the bees and can I please get the bees from the attic. Well the swarm made it all worth while. So I told her I would get the swarm and remove the other bees too. Now I’m to about 40 mins.
After work I am on my way to the house with all my stuff and I get a call. She tells me that she is giving the swarm to a friend of her fathers and still wanted me to come and get the bees from her attic. I couldn’t believe it. I told her to get her fathers friend to get the other bees while he was there. He told her that he did not want to because it was to much work.
I probably still should have gone and got the bees but I was so ticked off that they were going to give the swarm away after they had begged me to come and had taken up 40 mins of my day yakking to me about there problems.
Enough to drive you cracy.
:waiting:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Do you have Africanized bees in your area? If so, they would have reason to be afraid of those in the attic. You are right, thoughj people were definitely uneducated, and had NO consideration for you & your time!

·
Registered
869 Posts
I've been getting people that do that too. Some think they have a colony living in their house when its a swarm, and visa-versa. The best cutout is scheduled in Stockton for a week from Thursday. They are in the roof, the guy is a gen. contractor and will be cutting into his roof himself, all I have to do is removed the bees. He did send me a few pics, its a flat top roof and there is exposed comb outside as well as inside the roof.

Craig

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
I had one Sunday, When I got there the ladies father was walking away from the swarm with a kitchen knife taped to a 6' stick, & 2 bottles of insecticide dust. I think he was hiding it from me.

I told him I don't want his poisoned bees, he's says its just sulfur dust. Glad It was close to home.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Speaking of sulfur, I guess they use it on grapes for some reason or another. I have a hive right next door to a vineyard, will I need to close my bees in or move them when they sulfur the vineyard? I know bees don't really deal with grapes, but I'm sure that cloud will drift onto what the bees do like as well as to the hive.

Thanks,
Craig

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
I had one call for a cut out over a hour and half away sunday call I said to keep looking

·
Registered
290 Posts
webstreaming last night on the History Channel, but it might show up elsewhere. Mike Rowe's Dirty Jobs: second segment was cutting out a hive from a building. Highly amusing, and good to see a practical demonstration.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
I like to use the comparison of the person trying to get me to adopt their dog or their horse. You shoot the horse and when it doesn't die you call me to see if I want a dying horse... of course I don't. You spray the bees and then when they don't die yet, you want me to come get them for free because you think I want those dying bees?

In general the person who is explaining why they don't want to kill the bees is the one who didn't spray. The one who is paniced out of their mind already sprayed them. If you don't charge them enough money to make it worth your time and gas, you're just wasting time and gas. And frankly they usually aren't worth it anyway. They are the ones who are likely to not want to pay after you're done or blame you for something. Better to leave those alone.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts