Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
I'm overwhelmed by the irony here !!
My kid in the class of middle-school Geography (!!!!!) is studying Israeli-Palestinian politics (what on Earth???) INSTEAD of the most fundamental, basic concepts of global climate and ecology (oh, .... and general global mapping concepts, for bees' sake - that is what the Geography is - "The Study of the Earth").

That is called - mis-education.
I want to scream.
I should run for the local school board (instead of venting on BS).

Yes - lots and lots, and lots of irony.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Yes, I agree with you, it is tiresome. But the upside is they will eventually find out for themselves and be better beekeepers, or they’ll give it up.
Unfortunately, we are looking at a more general issue here.
This is just one indication of the same.
Backyard beekeeping is peanuts (smoke or no smoke).

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
RW,
On your website, I think you mean pheromones, not hormones.
Also, bees do indeed collect pollen, but in order to make honey they need to also collect nectar.

Many people do not use smoke at all to collect honey. Many use bee escape boards, etc.

I suggest visiting a bee supply co. website. A lot can be gleaned from learning about the tools we use. Dadant or MannLake are two of the larger ones.

Good luck,
Alex

·
Registered
388 Posts
Ryan, first I welcome you to this forum, but then I have to say: now you take the liberty to mess-up a whole school class or more? Shame on you! Get educated first before you make statements. Some very good info in the replies to your thread and I hope you use them. Also, if you do what you preach, try the all out organic method of beekeeping: no close, no tools, no smoke and work only ten hives in mid summer with four supers on. You will be converted very quickly.

Seasons Greetings to you!

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Another ridiculous premise guided on baseless opinions.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I don't see any evidence, data, or experience to back up the assumption. RyanW121- Have you been around bees to notice the problems that are alleged?

·
Registered
236 Posts
I sometimes use MEADOW MUFFINS (dried cow turd) for smoker fuel... does that make my smoke organic? There is NO way you can assure bees have not visited flowers that have never had pesticide on them so you cannot PROVE organic honey exists. If you use enough smoke that neighbors call the fire department then you may mask odors enough that the bees are a little confused but that goes away pretty quickly. Bees orient to the hive entrance so they do not get lost.

·
Registered
67 Posts
My kid in the class of middle-school Geography (!!!!!) is studying Israeli-Palestinian politics (what on Earth???) INSTEAD of the most fundamental, basic concepts of global climate and ecology (oh, .... and general global mapping concepts, for bees' sake - that is what the Geography is - "The Study of the Earth").

That is called - mis-education.
I want to scream.
What do you expect in the PRM? (People's Republic of Madison)

I graduated there in '92. It was bad then.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
What do you expect in the PRM? (People's Republic of Madison)

I graduated there in '92. It was bad then.
It is a suburb, not even the Mad-proper.
The same.
I, however, will say - this is a much more general problem, not just PRM's.
Lack of consistent, general, fact-based education at the basic school level is overwhelming (of course, such edu can be boring, too hard, and usually not sexy).

·
Registered
384 Posts
Funny thread :) The more BeeKs chiming in the more confused we all become, such is life.

On using smoke; 2 rules I follow, KISS (Keep It Simple) and "Less is usually more".... effective ;)

Personally, I like using dried sumac flowers which we've been collecting for a couple months now...it was a good sumac year, but have used all kinds of smoke materials over the years....only need a little smoke in most cases, unless we're talking about commercial beekeeping which is another animal pursuit imo.

Happy Holidays to all you beeks and friends of beeks!!

·
Registered
551 Posts
He should make a new subject, "ban guitar players from using picks":) The smoker is just as important to a beekeeper, Bees are treated very well, as opposed to the meat livestock industry.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts